5 weeks 8 ppm ammonia

ComeFullCycle

Reaction score
Hello grandmasters, I am having a lot of trouble cycling my 29 gallon tank would really appreciate some advice / direction . Here's what has happened in my tank since setup .

filled tank and added a piece of madrone and some type of moss also a few flakes of food . I knew the cycle took a while so I waited 3 weeks to order test kit .
Test kit comes in and ph is 7.4 ammonia is at 8ppm and my nitrites non existant nitrates at 20ppm. I wasn't sure why my ammonia was so high and nitrites weren't showing after so long , so I decided to borrow and filthy sponge filer from my neighbors tank and shook it out in the tank and set it up ......a week later still no change . What am I doing wrong ? Have a fluval 307 on the way will that help ?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Your ammonia is too high and stalling the cycle. Have you done a water change yet?

OP
ComeFullCycle

ComeFullCycle

Reaction score
No I havent , was under the impression that more ammonia meant more bacteria ?

Jerome O'Neil

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ComeFullCycle said:
No I haven't , was under the impression that more ammonia meant more bacteria ?
More isn't always better. Ammonia is toxic in too high of concentrations.

Change water until you get to about 4ppm, then go get your buddies sponge again. It will kick in.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes but you shouldn't dose past 4ppm. Too high ammonia or nitrate can kill the cycle and too low ph can crash it all together. You want ammonia stable between 2-4ppm . Your nitrates are high as well. I would do a WC. Are you adding pure ammonia or still using fish food?

OP
ComeFullCycle

ComeFullCycle

Reaction score
Also I have no substrate and just a hang on the back filter the tank came with .I ordered an "overkill" filter hopefully to colonize more bacteria

Blueberrybetta said:
Yes but you shouldn't dose past 4ppm. Too high ammonia or nitrate can kill the cycle and too low ph can crash it all together. You want ammonia stable between 2-4ppm . Your nitrates are high as well. I would do a WC. Are you adding pure ammonia or still using fish food?
I only added the food the first day and figured the wood and moss would supply some waste

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It might take a little bit longer considering the BB grows on substrate too but BB grows on everything and it will grow on the wood you added as well. Just having substrate helps it reproduce quicker basically, but you should still be able to finish your cycle fine if you lower the ammonia and nitrate levels. Do you happen to know the parameters of your source water? That could be another reason why your ammonia was so high at the beginning of cycling .

OP
ComeFullCycle

ComeFullCycle

Reaction score
It's well water , by friend said it's much better than city but I've not yet tested it

ComeFullCycle said:
It's well water , by friend said it's much better than city but I've not yet tested it
ammonia is at 0 from the tap , I will do as you guys have instructed with the water changes and continue to monitor I have ordered some substrate as well .

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Also cycling with fishfood is the worst way to do it. Get some pure ammonia to dose with. Or use tetra Safestart Plus and get on with stocking. Definitely change water and start over whatever method you choose.

OP
ComeFullCycle

ComeFullCycle

Reaction score
Donthemon said:
Also cycling with fishfood is the worst way to do it. Get some pure ammonia to dose with. Or use tetra Safestart Plus and get on with stocking. Definitely change water and start over whatever method you choose.
I knew you could add some bacteria from a bottle but I didn't want to add anything artificial to the tank if possible . Not sure on stock yet either. Not sure if it's a " grow out " or community tank just yet . Buy maybe I'll try the ammonia method with all new water

New Threads