5 months in and not sure about water quality

1. chefdujour Member Member

Hi,

I got a tank from someone back in February and have changed substrate, added fish, new lights....I used to test the water religiously and recently haven't been testing the water. I usually do 30-40% water changes every 7-10 days. I use tap water without any conditioners. I did test my tap water last month, and it has barely any traceable amounts of chlorine. Do I need to continue to do water changes as often?[​IMG]

2. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there :)

I would certainly keep doing weekly water changes; goldfish are messy fish. I'd still use a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime because even small amounts are harmful to fish.

Just out of curiosity, what are you using to test your water ?

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah goldfish are very very messy plus they'll outgrow that tank eventually.

4. AtomicMudkip Member Member

I have a question, why is there an angel fish and a gourami in there with the goldfish? they aren't really suited to go together. Aswell, I may be wrong but that tank looks severely overstocked with all those goldfish and the angel and gourami.
    ~Mudkipz

5. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I believe you are correct about all of this.

6. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

What temperature are you keeping your tank at?
    Sense you have goldfish you might want to do your water changes every 6-8 days.
    Also, as Codyrex97 said, those goldfish will eventually outgrow that tank.

7. Kwig Well Known Member Member

Based on the size of them, I'd say they've already outgrown the tank in regards to not having sufficient space to exercise.

8. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

If you plan to try and keep them all....I suggest daily water changes, or every other day. That will be needed just to keep the water quality good.

You will be cutting their lives short by potentially 20 years by keeping them in a fish tank. They get over a foot long and are really no different than Koi in my opinion. They belong in ponds.

And if you plan to keep the angel AND the goldfish, you will be shortening the goldfish's live even more by keeping them in water that is far too warm for them in order to keep the angel healthy.

You have a great size tank for angels and gouramis. You could have a lot of fun with a 40 gallon tank if you remove those goldfish! So many more options for you!

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I would also suggest using a water conditioner as it isn't the chlorine only but chloramine that a lot of water companies add to city water that also needs to be removed . Most on here use Seachums Prime as their water conditioner. Alison