5 Goldfish tank size?

1. kelsangdol Member Member

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would say you can :)
    The rule for goldfish is 20 gallons for the first one and 10 more gallons for each one after.

you want 5 so, 20+10+10+10+10= 60 :)
    But I would say 50G is ok for 5 :)

3. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Ideally you'd be able to have 4 (by the 20+10... rule) but with a 50 gallon tank (measure to make 100% sure) and fancy's you could probably get away with it but make sure that you get a really good quality filter for it (canister or extra large filter be best).

Good Luck :)

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think you have to consider that goldfish get very large, but they are also huge waste producers, very messy fish. One of our goldfish experts recently recommended that the first goldie get 30 gallons even... personally, I would limit it at 4. In the end, it is, of course, your choice. :)
    What kind/how big filter? And would it be a 50 or the more common 55?

5. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Keep in mind more space is always better but Fancy's don't require near the amount of swimming room that the "single tail" goldfish like comets, shurbikans, or common goldies do.

However good point on the waste production. The 5th goldfish would probably up the WC to weekly 25% probably, and with a 50 gal that's a fair amount of water...

6. kelsangdol Member Member

The 55 didn't work out and does the 350 penguin bio filter is what I want.

7. erk419 Initiate Member

Your going to need more the a single 350 pengiun. Ive got a 75 with 1 oscar 3 clown loaches and 3 tin foil barbs I have a 350 pengiun and a emperor 400

8. kelsangdol Member Member

Hmm,
    Could I do a weekly water change,lots of aeration, good quality food? (with still 5 GF?)
    What if I get a 55 gallon?

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

With a hang-on-back filter, you really want at least 500 gallons per hour flow rate on a 50 gallon, especially with messy fish like goldies. If you go with a canister, you're looking at a 5x flow rate, so at least 250 gallons per hour.

Proper filtration is going to be really important in this tank, in my opinion.

edit: just curious, is this what you are trying to set up for your sister? I think I remember you mentioning wanting to get her a moor?

10. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

With a good filter or two (total flow rate of at least 550 gph) + weekly water changes, 5 fancy goldies in a 55 should be no problem.

I have a heavily stocked 55 with two aquatechs and weekly 20% water changes and my params are nice and steady. Definitely cycle your tank first, don't add all your goldies at once, keep Prime on hand, have a good liquid test kit (and use it :p), and it should be a really great tank!

:)

11. kelsangdol Member Member

i wll :)
    I'm going to buy Tetra SafeStart + all the testing etc.
    Hm? I never said anything about a moor...but I am getting one haha.
    Wrong person perhaps...my sister don't like fish cause she's too busy anyways.

edit: What if I use two filters?

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol, someone else then, oops.

13. erk419 Initiate Member

Like mentioned before your gonna want at least 550 gph. The pengiun will do 350 gph so if you got another one you would be at 700gph that would be good I have. My 75 is pushing 750gph

14. yukoandk Member Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have 5 fancy goldfish in my 55 gal tank, holding approx. 50 gal of water. My goldfish are pretty young still, probably a little over a year old, and they're all about 3" in length including the tail. They are comfortable in their tank right now--I keep a close watch on the nitrate levels, however. There are good number of fast growing plants in the tank, and I change 50% of water at least once a week.

I think 50-55 gal will be a nice sized tank for your 5 goldfish. But then you will also have to remember that any of your fish can grow to be pretty big in a right condition withing a few years, and that may mean more frequent water changes and possible upgrade to a bigger tank.

As for filtration, yes more the better, but I would recommend concentrating on the surface circulation and agitation. If you are prepared to do your water changes everyday until your tank is cycled, and once a week after the cycle is complete for as long as you keep your goldfish, then your fish will have a good chance at a healthy and happy life.

Good luck, and check back often whenever you need help, advice and/or company!

15. Elvishswimmer Member Member

Fancy goldfish tend to grow more round and big, as opposed to Non-fancys which grow long. So you can get away with a bit of a smaller tank for them.

Then again, the biggest goldfish in the world was an Oranda.

I'd say you can get away with 5 in a 55G with good filtration, but you may have to consider an upgrade further down the line if your goldfish end up growing larger than normal.

16. Kenzo Initiate Member

Another rule is 12.5gallon par goldfish.
    I think you can keep 4-5 fancy goldfishes :)
    A good extern filter is neccesary such as refresh every week 10% of the tank.
    For the fancy goldfishes you have to use non-floating food. Because when they eat floating food, they will get air in there darms, and then you have big troubles.

17. kelsangdol Member Member

Ok, Thank You everyone! :;balloons
    I have decided to get 5 Goldfish, whether I get 50-55 gallons with 2 350 Bio Filters, and I'll do weekly water changes of 20-25%
    :;banaman

18. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I think the Aqua Clear 110 would be a good filter. It will circulate 500 GPH and if check around you can get one for around $80.00 or a little less. They are excellent filters also.

19. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;bananasplit

Can't wait to see the pics! :happy0064:

20. kelsangdol Member Member

Big Change!
    I'm getting a 55 gal with a canister filter. ( big one for 75 gal but I don't know the GPH...but will maybe find out)