5 gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by dezdude, Apr 14, 2010.

1. dezdudeValued MemberMember

What fish can go in a 5 gallon? my girlfriend wants a fancy goldfish.

2. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I hate to give you bad news, but there is no variety of goldfish that is suitable for a 5 gallon.

Does your girlfriend like Bettas at all? They do great in a 5 gallon tank, and there are a TON of beautiful colors and fin varieties available. Bettas have a ton of personality and IME, never disappoint! :)

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

4. peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Bettas do great in a 5 gallon. You could have some Red Cherry Shrimps with him too and decorate it nicely and viola! You have a nice home for a betta :)

Best of luck! :;hf

5. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Another vote for Betta or Dwarf Puffer. Not so sure about RCS with a Betta though. We put a Betta in a 10gal with RCS & he sent them all into hiding. We actually thought he had eaten them all until he got moved to a different tank & all the RCS started coming back out of hiding. Depends on the Betta in question I guess. Can't hurt to try it. At worst the Betta gets a good feed. :)

6. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

+1 for the Betta.

Important question: Are you planning on heating the tank?

Other alternatives, possibly, [only 1 of the following lines, not all of them]
    1 x Dwarf Gourami (might eat RCS),
    3-5 x Sparkling Gourami (aka Pygmy Gourami) [but are a little sensitive to water parameters]
    1 x Apistogramma borellii (Umbrella Cichlid) [may eat RCS]

My 2c.

7. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but....
    DG needs a minimum of 10 gallons IMO.
    Apistos need a minimum of 20 gallons IMO.

Sparkling gourami trio is great for a 5 gallon IME. BUT- at that point, you are fully stocked. If your sparklers decide to breed, you may need another option for the odd one out. ;)

8. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hey harpua [btw, love the garage, I mean fish room :) ]

From all my research, the borelli is probably the smallest of the apisto's, at ~2 inchs, not much bigger than most tetras, which I'm sure would be fine in a 5G.

Is there a particular reason you're suggesting 20G minimum, I understand the territorial side of things, but if there was only 1 in a 5G that would negate the territory issues?

I also understand swimspace etc, just curious to hear your thoughts cos I know you're quite experienced. [well that and I've asked my LFS to source some borelli for my 16G]

Looking forward to your thoughts :D

9. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I went to an auction in March and tried to get my hands on a borelli pair... the female was about 2 inches (excluding tail) and the male was absolutely enormous... 4 inches, EASY. I couldn't believe it. I didn't win the pair, but wow...

IMO no apisto belongs in a 5 gallon because, territory or not, they just need more room to swim. Well, I take that back. A 5 gallon makes a good growout tank for apisto fry. :p

10. peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

I've had RCS with a betta before. No problems. Yeah, as you said, depends really on the betta. :)

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I went through a few dwarf crayfish before i realized the betta was eating them. problem was i didnt have tight enough cover for them, so the betta could get to them and eat them at the molt. now i have a small little house that the crayfish lives in, that the betta cant get into.

it really depends on the betta....

12. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Thanks harp!
    I knew you'd have a logical answer ;)

13. Craig-DValued MemberMember

In addition to the above suggestions, you can put a couple of cory catfish in a 5 gallon, as they mostly stick to the bottom and don't need a whole lot of open swin space. However, they ideally prefer to be kept in groups of at least 6 if you want to see them be active.

If you want a very pretty single fish with a lot of personality, I say go for a betta. A goldfish is out for sure. They are really messy and need at least 10 gallons each.

14. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Actually, I politely disagree with Craig-D about the cories. IMO, no cories should go in a 5 gallon - as far as I know, 10 gallons is the minimum for a shoal of pygmy cories, and a 15 or 20 is best for regular cories. Pygmies get to about 1" - 1 1/2" long, and regular cories may look cute and little at the pet store, but will eventually grow to 2 or 3 inches.

Good info on the goldies there, but I would say that 1 goldfish should have 20 gallons (swim space again), and any additional goldfish will add another 10 gallons. For example, a tank with three goldfish should by 40 gallons (20 + 10 + 10).

15. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Just to add to Elodea's comment: pygmy cories will be happier in cooler waters than a betta would be. And I wouldn't put them any number of them in a 5g either...

16. dezdudeValued MemberMember

I got my girlfriend a 10 gallon. That should be ok for one goldfish.

17. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I'm sorry to say this, but a single goldfish really belongs in a 20g or larger. :( They produce an awful lot of waste and grow to be huge. They're very long lived too when well taken care of. I know it's probably small now, but I hope she can upgrade at some point to something better suited to the species.

18. dezdudeValued MemberMember

dang, a 20g for one goldfish...this sucks haha. i have a 20 gallon for communtiy fish, i couldnt imagine it with only one fish in there. I think what we will have to do, is make sure that when the fish begins to get too big, we upgrade the tank or something.

19. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I know what you mean, it's kind of shocking when you consider all the other fish that can fit together in a 20g. It's just that they get *so big* as adults and they produce so much waste even for how small they are -- more than similarly sized fish. Good luck with whatever you do (or she does :)).

20. dezdudeValued MemberMember

I was wondering. She also like the dwarf gourami;s. if her house temp is pretty much always 74 degrees, would it be ok to put a gourami in there. she has everything except a heater

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice