5 gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I have a school assignment to create an ecosystem. I currently had my goldy in a 2 gallon I didn't know how much space they truly require. So for my project I decided to upgrade to a 5 gallon and let him be part of the assignment however unfortunately I ended up giving him away. He had swim bladder and my friend is currently nursin him to health . So I decided to allow my betta the upgrade. I moved him to the 2 gallon my goldy was in and I'm planning on pickin up a 5 gallon. Anyways , for the ecosystem I want to add dirt to the tank because I want a frog. Can I use Regular flower dirt?

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes but this is much more complicated than simply putting dirt on the bottom of your tank. It is a process that requires washing the dirt, capping it with a sufficient amount of sand or gravel, adding plants that will thrive in the tank, having sufficient lighting, and making sure no algae grows using algae eating snails or shrimp. If you look at some of my threads I have 3 or 4 that explain the creation of a dirted tank. It is a lot of work to set up the the results are stunning and the maintenance of an established on consists of only feeding the fish and occasionally clearing out the filter if it gets plugged up too much. As for the goldfish I am glad your friend is helping it. They should be kept in a 20 gallon tank minimum because they produce a huge amount of waste even when young. They can grow almost to a foot long and also will uproot any plants you put in the tank. The betta in the 5 gallon tank would make a great dirted tank. Just be sure to read a lot about Diana Walstad and dirted tanks before beginning. It is a process that you need to be dedicated to. The results are well worth the efforts in my opinion though. If you need any other help I would be glad to help and I'll post some helpful threads of mine here for you to look at.

Some cool pictures:
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/130186-incredible-growth-plants-my-2-5-walstad.html\
My 36 gallon setup:
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/more-freshwater-aquarium-topics/129150-starting-up-my-npt-36-gallon-finally.html
2.5 gallon mini bow setup:
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-aquascaping/123636-2-5-gallon-walstad-tank-first-walstad-ever.html

Hope this helps

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wasn't planning on a filter it's just a school project and my bettas have never had filters . I was going to get an air bubble thingy aha and that's good. But as for the dirted tank ; I have java fern and I would love to get some snails or shrimp that way I have more of an ecosystem

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, well a java fern really wouldn't benefit all that much from a dirted tank. If you are not going to have a filter I would certainly get a lot of plants and heavily plant the tank. For my 2.5 gallon mini bow and my friend's they are heavily planted enough to have no filter, just a bubbler. Of course my 2.5 gallon is ridiculously overplanted for fish to be in it so you could get away with probably half that amount of plants in a 5 gallon tank and it would be fine. But if you have no few or no plants you really should have a filter for the little guy.

petlorilea

Valued Member
Reaction score
Deliverance. jk....waaaaaaaaay out west Tucson
Experience
More than 10 years
Nearly 15 years ago my daughter had a project like this. It was called a bio bottle. The student could choose whatever they wanted in the bottle, but it had to survive the semester. She chose a danio. She scraped as much algae as she could from a swimming pool (and may have gotten some mosquito larvae), sealed the dude in......and got an A because he lived. I have no idea how. In all the years since this science project, I cannot bring myself to stock danios. But I digress.
If you're allowed 5 gallons and a filter or air stone plus allowed to feed it....then yes, of course a betta CAN survive for 12 weeks; but I'm not sure this fits the description of ecosystem. Nor am I sure this fits the description for SURVIVE.
How long do you have to prepare for this project? If its only this weekend, I'd go with pond snails; and even then I would used the most established media available to you. Pebbles/algae/marsh grass/water from a nearby lake. Definately nothing new.

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We don't know very much but I think that we just have to create an Eco system I'm not really sure what he didn't explain but idk it might be the same thing. If so he could live for a very Long time if I got those small snails he could eat and put plants

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
An ecosystem would not work with a betta... like petlorilea says I would stick to shrimp, snails, and plants for an ecosystem type thing. Plant the tank/bottle as you would a dirted tank with dirt capped with sand or gravel and then put in snails, shrimp, and some pond scum and keep it under a light. The bottle/tank will grow algae that the shrimp and snails will eat and the plants will consume the waste the shrimp and snails produce. The plants take in the CO2 from the inverts and the inverts take in the O2 from the plants. Everything lives in harmony. A betta would produce too much wasted and needs more than just algae to eat. It would not have enough snails to eat and as said above it wouldn't eat them anyway.

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay. Well my betta always eats the snails they aren't large mystery snails they are tiny this is my old tank however I'm not really looking further into the assignment . I will find out more Monday I want to dirt my current tank though ,

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We did a project like this a few years ago, in a bottle, sort of a terrarium and aquarium smooshed together, I don't quite remember how they did that. We used mosquito fish in ours, and a couple aquatic plants like elodea. The project only lasted a month though, and the bottles disappeared. Never found out where those fish ended up (hopefully not the drain!) It wasn't sealed off though, fresh air could get in. Maybe you couple use shrimp? They have very small bioloads and can adapt to many water conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom