5 gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishyboy05, Dec 8, 2012.

1. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

Hi all,
    I am planning on upgrading my male dragon scale bettas tank to a 5 gallon that is 15x10x11
    So I was planning on giving him live plants and a cave or 2. So I was eons wring about tank mates. I originally thought that I could do otos or neons, but realized its to small. So heres what I'm thinking: 1 male betta, 1 zebra nerite sail, 1 adf, 2 ghost shrimp, 2 rcs...? How's it sound?

2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Woah that's way overstocked. I'd just keep it at the nerite and that's it. No room for anything else.

3. T

TheFishAddict Valued Member Member

I agree with Quad, and the Ghost shrimp could/would eat the red cherries. I would stick with just the nerite and betta, but hey, who said you couldn't have a variety of plants!??!? :D

4. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

I agree with overstocked.

In addition, I think the betta could turn the rcs into a snack too. Depends on the betta.

I keep a couple of nerite snails with my betta in a 6.6g and that's it. Works well for me.

Many people agree that ADFs should be in a tank only with other ADFs. They are slow eaters, and can starve if they are slow to the grab. And they don't have the best eye site. You don't want them mistaking your betta's pretty fins for food of some variety.

5. OP
    OP
    F

Lily. In a 14x10 footprint? I was hoping at least shrimp! Mabye 2 shrimp and a betta?

6. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

You could definitely try shrimp with a betta, but there's always a chance that they'll get eaten.

Don't do ghost shrimp, though, they like to pick at fins, and that wouldn't be too good for a betta!

Edit: I agree, adf like species only tank :)

7. OP
    OP
    F

So if It works out, how bout a betta, 4 shrimp, and 1 snail?

8. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

That still sounds like a bit too much for a 5g to me.

I'd just do the betta and a snail.

9. OP
    OP
    F

What if I didn't do a snail? I was looking on you tune and saw a bunch of tanks5-6 gallons with adf and shrimp and betta. I k is that's not a good place for advice, but anyway, I'd rather have an adf or shrimp than an snail

10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

In a 5g you can do 2 adf's.
    A bigger tank would be better...more flipper room.
    Shrimp will likely be food.
    They'll lunge at anything that smells like food and moves.

Or

Do a red cherry srimp tank with java moss. They are pretty cool and the color contrast looks great.

Or

1 betta.

You said it. Just because it's on youtube doesn't mean it should be done.

Bioload wise I think 1 adf and 1 betta would be fine if you kept up with weekly water changes.
    However, as said above the betta could go after the frog or the frog could grab the betta's flowing tail.

imo, why take the chance.

11. kb9plc

Personally, given those species requirements.... I'd do a betta, 2 shrimp, and 2 nerite snails (2 different patterns). I'd also do a bunch of plants so if the betta does get curious, the shrimp have somewhere to attempt to hide.

I really don't advise on putting an ADF in there. It might work. But it might not. Bettas are so hard to predict. And frankly so are the frogs. Some of them can grab food with the best of them. And some of them can't. So it's not a matter of that it CANT work... it's more of a matter that most of us prefer to not try and risk it. However, if you really want to do this..... just be sure you have a back up plan in case something goes afoul. If the betta attacks the ADF you need somewhere you can put him fast. And also... of course, be sure you monitor the tank like crazy so you will be able to tell if the ADF is getting enough food. AND make doubly sure you stay on top of your water changes!

One other goofy thing. I've seen people and LFS get ADF and ACF mixed up when they are small. You soooo don't want an ACF! If it has claws, back away from the purchase!

edit: :;nin2

12. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks, I'll do the shrimp and snails. Do most lfs sell nerite snails? And what about the shrimp? Ghost, rcs, Amanio, bamboo?

13. p

plecodragon Well Known Member Member

Probably rcs for the shrimp-with some plant protection they should be able to hide from the betta if needed. A chunk of java moss would be good for the shrimp. Shrimp also don't have a very high bioload so you could get 4-5 shrimp. Don't know where to get the nerite snails but most LFS have snails.

14. kb9plc

Most of the chain stores like Petsmart and Petco don't seem to carry nerites. Just mystery snails. And you don't want one of those in that tank. They get too big. And the betta might get irritated with not being the biggest handsomest thing in the tank :D
    I find that the Mom & Pop corner pet shops seem to carry the nerites. At least, that is where I find mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice