5 gallon tank

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I saw a pearlescale betta in a tiny plastic cup in Petco. I brought it home and put it in a bowl that has used water. I am going to move it to a 5 gallon tank with a mystery snail. Should I add more fish to the tank?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It would be nice to leave it at that but if you want to do a lot of water changes of 50% or so and keep the tank very clean you can add a couple of Otos to the tank. No bigger fish or nippers (tetras, mollies, platies). Bettas just are not known to be compatible with many other fish. They pretty much are limited to the cories and otos. Otos work the best in the 5 gallon and you could put a couple in with a snail, and a betta but it is going to mean at least a weekly 50% water change and vacuum the gravel with the change. If you want the tank to be a bit easier to maintain then stick with the snail and the betta. If you start to get an algae problem and the snail is not effective then you can consider the Otos.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Contrary to what you might think bettas don't really get lonely though your fish may come to enjoy your company and be bemused by the snail. The setup with the betta and snail is about perfect since you never can tell with male bettas. Some of them are actually quite nice, others are savagely territorial (like mine).

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I guess I'll have only the snail and betta in the 5 gallon tank.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes. I totally agree with Poe. Most bettas are not used to having other fish around and they do not even realize that other fish have the RIGHT to swim in their water!! (males that is - females are a bit different) It is a real gamble to put any other fish in with them as you will not know until you do how they are going to react and once the other fish are in there unless you have a second tank ready, what you see is what you get. The betta may be territorial to the point of murdering the others or he may just totally ignore them. The one thing you may be sure of, he will not play and be friends with them. He does not know how. He has been alone since he was a tiny little fry and he does not know that he is a fish like they are. He is going to like you because you give him food and hopefully talk to him and coo over him and maybe even sing to him. He is going to want to spend time with YOU not other fish as he is going to have YOU for his best friend. (and probably his only friend) Just treat him like a little buddy and give him some of your time and attention like you would any pet or friend and he will develop the personality that he is capable of and you will be so surprised at what a good friend he is.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom