5 Gallon Tank?

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where on earth can I find a nice 5 gallon without built in filtration?? I have the standard boring 5, but the dimensions aren’t working for the table I want it on. Needs to be more square. And I like the ones with clear lids...I like the fluval and marineland but I want my own HOB. Thanks!!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is the table big enough to handle an 8.8 Aqueon Aquasprings. They have internal filtration but the waterfall connected to the filter and the built in led grows plants pretty well for only having a couple small strips on it.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have the Marine land 5 gallon portrait tank, I took the filteration out, I am not using it, so if you want it free it's yours just let me know when you are in PA to pick it up! lol

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If price is not a significant obstacle, ADA makes cube aquariums in a variety of sizes. They have a 30cm cube that's 7.2 gallons. Be a shame to hang a HOB on such a lovely tank though. Availability in the U.S. is slim though. The only place I know of that sells them is here. Not a recommendation, just a reference. I've never dealt with them.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So here’s the dilemma, it has to fit on this table, which it does lengthwise but then I need to figure out the lid situation to get the hardware to the back (I tried a diy glass sliding lid yesterday and failed miserably) When I told hubs I just needed a different tank, he laughed and said “but I know you’ll still keep this one and then what?” He’s not wrong. Haha. Thanks for all the suggestions...I’ll have to play around a bit I guess.
EDIT...this table is mounted to the floor haha
q5dgGfE.jpg

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe use a acrylic sheet to cover the premade holes. And cut out a spot on there to put the hob. Or just get an acrylic sheet cut at lowes or home depot to fit the lid and have them cut the spot in back also

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe use a acrylic sheet to cover the premade holes. And cut out a spot on there to put the hob. Or just get an acrylic sheet cut at lowes or home depot to fit the lid and have them cut the spot in back also
I went to Home Depot and got glass and the cutter...broke into 6 pieces. Then I went to Lowe’s for them to cut some for me...they broke 2 pieces and gave up. Lol. It’s like just not meant to be. I’m afraid acrylic or plexiglass will warp and discolor.
I also need to scrape the paint off the side. Fun, fun!

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They make tanks out of plexiglass (acrylic) so I would think just evaporating water wouldnt hurt too bad.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is what I’ve tried and failed at so far...

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From what I've seen on YouTube videos, most of the fancy aquascapers work with open top tanks. That appears to be all the rage with show piece tanks that are meant to be things of beauty and not just a place for the fish to live.

I bought a double-walled polycarbonate greenhouse panel to make a lid. Also got some plastic hinges that can be glued to the polycarbonate. I've not put them to use yet, but I don't anticipate any issues. The polycarbonate will cut easily with a hacksaw or a Dremel cutting wheel. I bought a big sheet that should make tops for half a dozen 20 gallon tanks. Not sure if you could find a smaller piece for sale somewhere. The total cost of polycarbonate and enough hinges for a dozen tops was about what one glass top would have cost me.

The material will let through about 80% of the light. It will become opaque with age but that should take a very long time if it's indoors.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I've seen on YouTube videos, most of the fancy aquascapers work with open top tanks. That appears to be all the rage with show piece tanks that are meant to be things of beauty and not just a place for the fish to live.

I bought a double-walled polycarbonate greenhouse panel to make a lid. Also got some plastic hinges that can be glued to the polycarbonate. I've not put them to use yet, but I don't anticipate any issues. The polycarbonate will cut easily with a hacksaw or a Dremel cutting wheel. I bought a big sheet that should make tops for half a dozen 20 gallon tanks. Not sure if you could find a smaller piece for sale somewhere. The total cost of polycarbonate and enough hinges for a dozen tops was about what one glass top would have cost me.

The material will let through about 80% of the light. It will become opaque with age but that should take a very long time if it's indoors.
Interesting, I’m googling now. Thanks! Oh and I’ve debated lidless, I’d love that but shrimp get jumpy.

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I love the topless look also but I have kids I'd find all kinds of stuff floating around.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just checked again and the place I bought the 4mm polycarbonate panel has changed the packaging so you now have to buy five at a time. The 4mm is no longer economical unless you have a dozen tanks you're building tops for. Now the cheapest is 6mm in 2'x4' sheet for $18. Still not terrible if you have four 20 longs you're making tops for, but for just one top or a different dimension where you'd have more waster per sheet, it's getting more expensive. Greenhouse Megastore is the place I ordered. I'm sure lots of other places have similar materials.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom