5 Gallon Tank

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m in the process of moving my crown tail betta who I have had for 1.5 years into a proper 5 gallon tank that I aquired from a rummage sale. I think it will be a much better spot than the half moon 3 gallon that he is currently in. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, we would like to see pictures of course! What are your plans for scaping the 5 gallon?

McFly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish always appreciate more space.

If you're using a HOB filter, the transition would be pretty painless.
Swap the filter over to the new tank, with the old tank water, and
fill the rest with treated water... You can always let the additional
water sit in a covered bucket overnight to degas, and temp. adjust.

Any thoughts on adding to the tank, or is it just a 'volume' upgrade?

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since it’s basically a transfer from one tank to the other I may use some of a similar arrangement that I have in the old tank.

Julabean

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Atomicfish said:
I’m in the process of moving my crown tail betta who I have had for 1.5 years into a proper 5 gallon tank that I aquired from a rummage sale. I think it will be a much better spot than the half moon 3 gallon that he is currently in. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
I was told that you should always have at least a 5 gallon for a Betta so that's what I got. Taco loves it. It's enough space to do some aquascaping with plants, rocks, and/or wood. I used 2 of the 5 pieces of spider wood to make a sculpture. I bought them on Amazon for less than $10. There are tons of different stones you can use, such as river stones (like the ones I harvested outside and boiled), but my favorite is Dragonstone. You can search for small or nano pieces of Dragonstone on Amazon and one seller has a bunch for less than $20. Do either of the hardscaping ideas appeal to you? Do you like plants? Anubias, moss balls, and crypts are great for a 5 gallon.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do have one big Marimo Ball in the smaller tank that The betta is in that I will probably transfer over when we start making the move.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank upgrade is on hold the tank I was upgrading too leaks. I’m not sure now what’s going to happen. We may try to reseal it or I may have to get another one at some point. My caregiver and I found it leaking out the bottom
Corners.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now for a update. I just bought a new 5.5 gallon tank which will be my Bettas new home very soon. This will replace the one that leaks and the older 3 gallon tank that he is currently in.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My new 5.5 gallon tank is up and running. With a heater and filter plugged in and working.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The transfer is completed. The betta is in its new home.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom