5 gallon tank

1. g

gillyweed Initiate Member

I purchased a 5 gallon tank a while back for my Betta who has sadly since passed away :(

I purchased 2 Mickey Mouse Platties in his place (just not ready for another Betta yet), is this enough room for them? How many fish can safely be put in a 5 gallon tank? The tank is equipped with a heater and filtration system.

Thank you for any advice!

G

2. f

fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

you should be fine as long as you don't add any more fish and do routine matnice

3. OP
    OP
    g

Thank you very much!

4. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

What sexes are the 2 platties? if it is 1 male 1 female then youw ill have an issue with the male bullying the female. also platties prefer a larger tank because there are usually more than 2 platties. You wont be crowded in a 5 gallon but the fish might prefer a little more room to roam around.

5. OP
    OP
    g

Hi Jon!

They are both males and I've noticed they swim close together and compete for food - they are much more aggressive than my sons black skirt tetra's!

Thanks a bunch for your input - it's much appreciated!

All the best - g

6. E

EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

If you have the money, you probably would want to upgrade to at least a 10 gallon tank, because right now, you wouldnt be able to add any more fish, and even though you are not overcrowding your 5 gallon, the fish you have can get a little too aggressive for each to be in such a small space together. Besides, if you get a bigger sized tank, you could get a little bit more fish (and we all know this hobby is addicting, so you're eventually gonna want more!! LOL ;))

7. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

that tank is big enough for them right now... its fun to breed livebearers and ez as heck but you would need at least 2 females per male and that definately wouldnt fit in your tank... 10gs are cheap and i would suggest a 20g. most beginners (not calling youa beginner) buy very small tanks and end up overcrowding them... if you are happy with your 2 platties then good luck to you but preferably dont add anything to your tank