5 gallon tank

1. gillyweed Initiate Member

I purchased a 5 gallon tank a while back for my Betta who has sadly since passed away :(

I purchased 2 Mickey Mouse Platties in his place (just not ready for another Betta yet), is this enough room for them? How many fish can safely be put in a 5 gallon tank? The tank is equipped with a heater and filtration system.

Thank you for any advice!

G

2. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

you should be fine as long as you don't add any more fish and do routine matnice

3. gillyweed Initiate Member

Thank you very much!

4. Jon Well Known Member Member

What sexes are the 2 platties? if it is 1 male 1 female then youw ill have an issue with the male bullying the female. also platties prefer a larger tank because there are usually more than 2 platties. You wont be crowded in a 5 gallon but the fish might prefer a little more room to roam around.

5. gillyweed Initiate Member

Hi Jon!

They are both males and I've noticed they swim close together and compete for food - they are much more aggressive than my sons black skirt tetra's!

Thanks a bunch for your input - it's much appreciated!

All the best - g

6. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

If you have the money, you probably would want to upgrade to at least a 10 gallon tank, because right now, you wouldnt be able to add any more fish, and even though you are not overcrowding your 5 gallon, the fish you have can get a little too aggressive for each to be in such a small space together. Besides, if you get a bigger sized tank, you could get a little bit more fish (and we all know this hobby is addicting, so you're eventually gonna want more!! LOL ;))

7. Jon Well Known Member Member

that tank is big enough for them right now... its fun to breed livebearers and ez as heck but you would need at least 2 females per male and that definately wouldnt fit in your tank... 10gs are cheap and i would suggest a 20g. most beginners (not calling youa beginner) buy very small tanks and end up overcrowding them... if you are happy with your 2 platties then good luck to you but preferably dont add anything to your tank