5 gallon tank tips - mollies

Discussion in 'Molly' started by aryaman, Jan 12, 2013.

1. aryaman

aryamanNew MemberMember

hi, i just bought my 2nd tank - a 5 gallon tank today and moved all my mollys (9) into it cause my parrots and cat fish had started attacking them in the othr 180gallon tank. however i want to make these mollies have babies, could somebody please guide me through the requirements. and a lot of people have told me that i probably missed the time when they gave fry but i check in on them every 2 - 3 hours (even at night) and i havnt seen a increase in size at all

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Did you cycle your tank?

Could you please fill out your aquarium info so members can help you better?

Unfortunately, your 5 gallon tank is way too small for your mollies. If you can get a larger tank (29g or bigger), you should be able to just let nature take it's course. The females will get large and within 30 days (if you have males and females), should be dropping fry.

3. OP
    OP
    aryaman

aryamanNew MemberMember

is there no way i can get them to reproduce in a 5 gallon? but is a 5 gallon big enough to keep 9 mollies?

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

A 5g is too small for 9 mollies. If they did reproduce in a tank that small, I would be very surprised, but anything is possible.

5. OP
    OP
    aryaman

aryamanNew MemberMember

6. ivonko

ivonkoValued MemberMember

i think it would really be best if you tried to get a bigger tank if you are looking to have the fish reproduce, becaue you must consider that you might be starting out with 9 fish (which is already a whole lot for that little tank) but if they do in fact have fry you will go from 9 fish to about 60,

my suggestion; keep the 5 gallon tank and get a bigger tank as well thats around 20 gallons. my reasoning? the 5 gallon would be a good tank to put 1 pregnant female into when she is ready to give birth (whether it be live bearer or egg layer) that way the fry arent endangered by the other 8 fish, then the 20 gallon will be enough to keep the rest of the mollys while you are ready for them to... do the do ;)