5 Gallon Tank Stocking

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Calwhovian, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Calwhovian

CalwhovianNew MemberMember

I'm planning to get a 5 gallon, and currently what I think I'm getting in it is:

- 1 Betta
    - 3 Albino Cory Catfish
    - 1 African Dwarf Frog

Is that overstocked or can I get a few more things? Thanks.

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I would start with the betta and if he seems somewhat "chill" then you may be able to try the ADF. I would pass on the corys they should be in a bigger tank and a bigger school. Just be sure to have a backup plan if the betta goes for the ADF.

3. Minxxy

MinxxyWell Known MemberMember

If you have a petco near you, it may be better to get a 10g since they are on sale, something to think about

4. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

Albino Cory's get too big for a 5 gallon.
    I've read mixed results with Bettas and Frogs but it seems to come down to the Bettas personality.
    The tanks a bit small for other fish but Shrimp are a good go to but again depends on the betta.

5. OP
    OP
    Calwhovian

If I got a 10 gallon instead would that be better for the corys and enable me to get more of them? Also it's a friend's betta and he says it's pretty timid.

6. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

10 gallons is a bit small for Albinos but Pygmy Cory's should work fine.

7. kallililly1973

Go for a 20 long that way you have a nice footprint for a good school of corys a Betta with a shallow tank and then you can even add a school of ember tetras or chili rasboras

8. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn’t recommend getting either of those species with a betta; frogs are easily picked on (think toes getting bitten off) and outcompeted for food, and all types of corydoras are too active and large for a 5 gallon in my opinion. How about a tiny schooling species like celestial pearl danios?

9. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

Only the Betta! Make sure that you have a heater and at least a sponge filter for it.

10. Potato1

Potato1Valued MemberMember

You could keep the betta and some snails perhaps

11. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

For a 5gallon, I would only do the betta and some snails or shrimp.

If you want a community Betta tank, a 20g would be more suitable.

12. OP
    OP
    Calwhovian

So can someone give me a brief summary of what I could fit in a 5 or 10 gallon tank with a betta :playful:

13. kallililly1973

I'm gonna contradict everything i said in my previous post on this thread. I confess i have a betta an otto cat and 5 ember tetras( i know i'm a rebel) in a 5.5 very well established and very well planted tank that has been running for 6 or more months. With that being said if i were you i would start with the betta and get the water parameters in check and do religious WC's(40-50% weekly at least) then when you see how the betta acts only you can be the judge of what else can be added.

14. OP
    OP
    Calwhovian

Maybe I could just get a betta and a school of tetras. Any ideas on what kind of tetras look nice? I'm planning on getting a red or blue dumbo ear betta.

15. kallililly1973

Ember tetras or chili rasboras.Search nano fish there are a few varieties

16. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

I currently have a pair of bettas with some rice fish. Do bear in mind that the bettas I have are wild and are NOT splendens.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  17. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

If you are sticking with a 5g, I still wouldn't do any other fishes. Why don't you cycle your 5g and add the Betta and see how it goes for 3 to 4 weeks and then decide whether to add more nano fish if you think the tank is too empty.

Bettas are active little fishes if given the right amount of space.

18. OP
    OP
    Calwhovian

Checked out the fish store and they sell a 10 gallon for about the same price as a 5 :). Buying the 10 instead.

Also one more question:What kind of live plants could I get for the betta? I was thinking of getting one with large leaves like Anubius Nana

19. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

If you do get an ADF (though I wouldn't recommend it with a betta) then get 2 as they are social.

Bettas like plants like anubias with leaves that they can rest on. They also enjoy floating plants such as salvinia, frogbit, duckweed and water lettuce.

20. CommonCurt

CommonCurtNew MemberMember

I just added some frogbit in my daughters 5.5 gallon Betta tank.
    He started loving it as soon as I put it in.