Question 5 Gallon Syphoning

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is it OK to do syphon a 5 gallon everyday? This tank doesn't have a filter and it's heavily planted. Also no fish are in the tank and I have no intention of putting a fish in. A month ago I got this tank and I didn't have a small enough syphon to use so I used jugs. When I found one today I quickly did a syphoning of the aquasoil substrate and there was a lot of gunk. Can I do one everyday? If not how many times a week?

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I never siphon my planted tank gravel. This "gunk" you speak of, plants simply call that food. Lol. I do skim the surface if there's a lot of debris for some reason but for years I've never actually siphoned into the gravel.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I never siphon my planted tank gravel. This "gunk" you speak of, plants simply call that food. Lol. I do skim the surface if there's a lot of debris for some reason but for years I've never actually siphoned into the gravel.
The problem is though that i jave hundred if not thousands of detritus and 40+ pest snails. These number are said to be reduced with water changes and gravel vac. Can I do it everyday though?

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You mean detritus worms? They're not going to hurt anything and there's no way around them they're in every healthy aquarium. You can dose something like seapora snail zap, or something to take care of the pest snails. Just make sure it's plant safe.
I suppose you could do it every day though if you want to.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You mean detritus worms? They're not going to hurt anything and there's no way around them they're in every healthy aquarium. You can dose something like seapora snail zap, or something to take care of the pest snails. Just make sure it's plant safe.
I suppose you could do it every day though if you want to.
Ok thank you I thought it was bad for the plants when changing water every day. I’ve seen a drastic decrease in detritus worms and snails.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom