5 Gallon Sw Nano Tank

Joshuaharestad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi All,

Had bettas for years but new to most of the rest of this. My two big tanks are goldfish and bichir, so they are freshwater. Nervous to try SW but really want to. A bit tight on space and budget though. I got a 5 gallon nano tank to try breeding some betta's but my female jumped and died. Now I'm considering moving the male elsewhere and trying to make a mini reef tank. (Its all my wife will let me get away with at the moment.)

So I have some questions. Can I use the same filter? Does it need to cycle again or would it retain the beneficial bacteria even in salt water? Do I also need a protein skimmer? I saw some filters said they were protein skimmers so I was considering buying one of those. Got a heater and air pump already.

With only 5 gallons I'm not expecting many fish. Ultimately I want clown fish but I know they're too big for a 5. This would basically be a salt water practice before trying a bigger set up.

How do you get the right mix of saltwater? Do you use tap and then add salt or do you buy buckets of premixed water? Right now when water changing I pour freshwater in and dose the tank with dechlorinator. Can you do similar with saltwater, adding it to the tank as you mix it, or does it need to be mixed up first?

I was thinking sandy substrate, live rock, a coral or two. And then some sort of small enough fish.

Any suggestions for stocking a 5 gallon SW tank? I'm okay with just one fish.

Thanks!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Honestly I wouldn't recommend a 5 gallon for a newbie, the water parameters can change in the blink of an eye. You would also need an auto top off on a setup like that as evaporation would be a huge factor (water evaporates but salt doesn't) so you need to top up daily. Only the smallest goby (ie Clown Goby) or blenny (Barnacle) would work in there long term

Joshuaharestad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Honestly I wouldn't recommend a 5 gallon for a newbie, the water parameters can change in the blink of an eye. You would also need an auto top off on a setup like that as evaporation would be a huge factor (water evaporates but salt doesn't) so you need to top up daily. Only the smallest goby (ie Clown Goby) or blenny (Barnacle) would work in there long term
I'm gonna take your advice and wait till I habe more space. Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 65.9%

Top Bottom