5 Gallon Refresh

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was going to tear it down. I had used it for growing out plants ahead of redoing my larger community tank and just hadn't gotten around to finish breaking it down. Lurk too long here though and the bug comes back hard!

So it's been cleaned up and reset for a betta. I will give it the night for temps to adjust. Not expecting much, if any, cycle on it. Took about an hour, and I am excited as it's been a few years since we've had a betta in the house.

Hoping to pop over the LFS tomorrow and see of I can find any larger plants to even out the look!

24dcd1894039d99d05298dca2529dcba.jpg
21f2fc138f925146faf6002921915eca.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Every time someone post about a Betta, I want to run out and get one (three)! It’s getting harder to resist! What color are you thinking of? I can’t wait till someone can describe this redo to me! Bet it’s awesome!

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank started out completely caked in algae sheets. Totally green water! There was nothing alive in it once I transferred the plants and ember tetras, and it was out of the way in my critter room so... I just left it. For about a month. Had to scrape it down with a razor blade to get it clean, and I tackled the filter with a toothbrush.

Swapped out the black Flourite for fresh Caribsea white sugar sand. Added in some nicely contrasted chunks of mopani that run the entire length of the tank. One little piece in the middle has some tiny Java Fern started on it. I am hoping to find two or three taller plants for better height, maybe some more crypts. There is a static cling background that looks like polished river pebbles, it came with the tank but I am thinking about maybe going with plain black instead.

I already have the betta... We did a Walmart run and I made the mistake of looking and a full grown female with an extended belly just kept staring at me. She's pretty big, and I am thinking she'll end up either blue or piebald, but she was really stressed out and striped so it is hard to tell. Hoping the large stomach is just them having overfed her. Cleaned her water for the night and am giving her time to settle down before doing anything more.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow. Sounds like a job cleaning that tank! I can’t wait to hear what the Betta ends up looking like! And I like the plain painted backgrounds better too. Shows off the fish and plants without distractions.
I keep seeing innocent little bettas sitting around in cups for days on end. I’m telling myself no. Oh, but no. Myself is weakening.
Thank you btw for the wonderful description! Nicely done!

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I stole some crypt out of my community tank. We are going to moving sometime in the next year, so rather than doing a normal planted tank, and because I wanted Flourite for the plants and sugar sand for my kuhlis, I used various sized cichlid stones as planters. Filled the bottom with aquarium foam, topped with Flourite, and stood the stones on end. I took two of the small ones, but I have no idea what crypt species these are!

The betta has settled in. She ended up being that oily pale teal with a flash, and powdery blue without, with some red splotches here and there. It'll be interesting to see if she continues to darken over time. She has some decent fin damage from the store, probably from ammonia burn, but she is super curious!

I really love how this turned out, and she is right next to my work station in my critter room so I can visit her throughout the day. One of my smaller reacued turtles can see her though when she swims to the one side, and he is loosing his mind! Might have to block that off for his sanity.
9c5d454325bfee31c5c25c6687dfeb4e.jpg
7dcdba4a956c48d1d8db8a41bc80624e.jpg
abfa1cf10e561e3a7422b1f5fc354fd3.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wodesorel said:
I stole some crypt out of my community tank. We are going to moving sometime in the next year, so rather than doing a normal planted tank, and because I wanted Flourite for the plants and sugar sand for my kuhlis, I used various sized cichlid stones as planters. Filled the bottom with aquarium foam, topped with Flourite, and stood the stones on end. I took two of the small ones, but I have no idea what crypt species these are!

The betta has settled in. She ended up being that oily pale teal with a flash, and powdery blue without, with some red splotches here and there. It'll be interesting to see if she continues to darken over time. She has some decent fin damage from the store, probably from ammonia burn, but she is super curious!

I really love how this turned out, and she is right next to my work station in my critter room so I can visit her throughout the day. One of my smaller reacued turtles can see her though when she swims to the one side, and he is loosing his mind! Might have to block that off for his sanity. View attachment 438016View attachment 438017View attachment 438018
She sounds absolutely gorgeous! The tank sounds perfectly done. I’m impressed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom