5 gallon planted tank (newbie) - comments please

SoErique

Reaction score

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lovely!!

I worry a bit though, that is a lot of fish. You have more in 5 gallons than I have in my 29 gallon tank. Good luck and it is really beautiful!

--R

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's very nice, just overstocked a bit. The clown loach grows to about 12" and the others gow to be from 1-2" each.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it is a very nicely done tank and a well-done assortment of fish, but like the other posts say you've got a lot of fish in there (around 39" or so at their adult size [1" adult needs an avg of 1 gallon.]) so you'll need to check the water parameters daily and do partial water changes, probably every other day to keep things clean. the loach will need a new home when he gets bigger or he'll have a hard time moving around and will get to feeling real cramped. is your tank cycled now?

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think if you just got rid of the loach and the danio you'd be fine. It would still be overstocked but since you have two "filters" (the tanks filter and the plants) you should be fine. I would maybe even add a mystery snail to help with the clean up. Depending on the filter system you have you need to keep a close eye on levels. Does your filter have a bio wheel, carbon filter or anything like that?

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Point made on the overstocking, I think. The decor is really very nice. Good job!

SoErique

Reaction score
oh... i also think i overstocked the tank.  ;D coz i din really think much when i bought the fishes. yea, the clown loach will get a new home once it gets bigger and the danios also. thanks for all the comments. never really checked the nitrates and ammonia levels coz i couldn't get my hands on a test kit but its been running for a week now and the fish seems happy and their colours are coming out(when i bought most of them their colours were like almost non-existant)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
- this kit is a real good one and used by a lot of the members here. You can also get it at petsmart or petco, but petco is the most expensive place. maybe you'll be able to get more tanks sometime soon and become another person infected with MTS. 1 tank turned into 5 for us in about 2 months.. lol

SoErique

Reaction score
;D i'm getting another one quite soon. the next one is most probably gonna be full DIY. btw i 'm in Malaysia so not petco for me

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SoErique said:
;D i'm getting another one quite soon. the next one is most probably gonna be full DIY. btw i 'm in Malaysia so not petco for me
i see.. when you get a chance, you can put your pin on the globe and get your country's flag under your name. always great to have a new tank.. i love it.. now if i can just find a place for the next one..

SoErique

Reaction score

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would maybe even add a mystery snail to help with the clean up. Depending on the filter system you have you need to keep a close eye on levels. Does your filter have a bio wheel, carbon filter or anything like that?
i would strongly recommend against a mystery snail unless you are careful and get a brig (so they don't make a tasty treat out of your plants!) and want to do lots of water changes all the time. i used to have mystery snails, and they make more poop than my entire tank put together! (i don't have mystery snails anymore)

SoErique

Reaction score
yeap......... i dun like mystery snails..... that's why the clown loach is there. i wanted to get a netrite snail as suggested by my friend, but its very hard to find these critters in my country.... too bad for me......

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful tank! ;D

SoErique

Reaction score
thanks ;D

Fishface

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think it's beautiful.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
It looks lovely and very leafy. Water looks so clean. It does look very crammed, though. Very nice tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom