5 Gallon Options Help

1. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I came across a free 5 gallon tank today

I need input on what type of equipment to use, and what stocking options there are.
    (Planted tanks really interest me) c508964a406384292b430b5895af8344.jpg

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

A simple sponge filter or a very small internal filter will suffice. I would keep a pea puffer. Get some osmocote root tabs, sand and throw in some Wisteria to make a background, then throw some floating stuff like watter lettuce or salivinia on the front and enjoy your tank.

3. VioletSS Member Member

I'm in the beginning stages of setting up my own 5 gallon (just got it yesterday!).
    I'm doing shrimp. But those little pea puffers are adorable, and I've imagined having one.
    Keep us posted on your progress!

4. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I was thinking shrimp too, or a betta

5. SuzanaBanana Member Member

This is the filter i was thinking
    I have this in my 10 gallon and i like it
    39046a58bf894dcc6c69e301586c7d55.png

6. SuzanaBanana Member Member

This is the light i was looking at, but idk i'd have to research it more
    db87b3ebd912d7bb43e341a4a487f234.png

7. VioletSS Member Member

You might want to consider getting a foam filter cover if you're getting shrimp.

8. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

9. nmfsd1 Initiate Member

If you're getting shrimp I would go with Cherry Shrimp, they're so cute and would stand out in a planted tank!

10. BReefer97 Member Member

11. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Betta and shrimp do well in a five gallon, pea puffers require crunchy food like snails fairly regularly to be healthy or their "beak" gets to long and they eventually will starve because they cannot eat properly though a pea puffer is probably the easiest puffer to keep.

Depending on your stock choice you'll want to choose appropriate filtration type, shrimp or betta a 10 gallon size sponge filter would be perfect!

I have a nicrew light on my son's tank and I like it, he's got a couple swords and Anacharis that are doing very well with it.

Just be sure to keep a tight maintenance schedule in a five gallon, there's not really room for slacking on a small tank!

12. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I really like the light! And i live in AZ so i wont probably be needing a heater until winter

Im leaning more towards a betta, and we do weekly water changes on all of our tanks, so i think it should be fine

13. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Least Killifish make a good stock. You can breed them in that size too.