5 gallon nano tank

• Thread starter treesap
  • Start date

treesap

This is a beginner tank and I recently got this set up about 2 months ago. This is Vincent in his Fluval Spec V
C349C271-BEFF-4614-918C-0391B81E2448.jpeg
I’ve been dealing with some GH, KH and pH problems. But I’m hoping for the best. Also the Elodea is new so it doesn’t look too good but it’ll be ok.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
treesap said:
This is a beginner tank and I recently got this set up about 2 months ago. This is Vincent in his Fluval Spec V
I’ve been dealing with some GH, KH and pH problems. But I’m hoping for the best. Also the Elodea is new so it doesn’t look too good but it’ll be ok.
Nice! I also have the Spec V with a betta in it. I don't have CO2 tho. Looks really nice tho! Maybe add a few foreground plants.

treesap

AcornTheBetta said:
Nice! I also have the Spec V with a betta in it. I don't have CO2 tho. Looks really nice tho! Maybe add a few foreground plants.
Thank You! I might add some foreground plants in the future. And the CO2 thing is actually an oxygen diffuser but is shaped to look like CO2!

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
treesap said:
Thank You! I might add some foreground plants in the future. And the CO2 thing is actually an oxygen diffuser but is shaped to look like CO2!
LOL. I defiantly knew that :) :cool: hilarious

Vivo

Just found this thread. I just got a female half-moon beta and a new 5 gallon Fluval spec. Do you find that the water current is too strong? Do you think it needs an air stone?

treesap

Vivo said:
Just found this thread. I just got a female half-moon beta and a new 5 gallon Fluval spec. Do you find that the water current is too strong? Do you think it needs an air stone?
Yes I do find the filter too strong so I don’t turn it on a lot. I also use an air stone and on low volume. Not necessary, but I find that it works.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Vivo said:
I have a long fin (delta tail) betta in the Fluval Spec V and he actually likes the flow. I don't think u need an airstone.

treesap

AcornTheBetta said:
I have a long fin (delta tail) betta in the Fluval Spec V and he actually likes the flow. I don't think u need an airstone.
Whoa, I don't think Vincent likes the flow and I'm scared of the intake. A lot of times I would find him sucked up there at the intake just exhausted and now I'm concerned :-/ so i don't put the filter on much

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
treesap said:
Whoa, I don't think Vincent likes the flow and I'm scared of the intake. A lot of times I would find him sucked up there at the intake just exhausted and now I'm concerned :-/ so i don't put the filter on much
My betta sticks up with the overflow, but not the intake. I have my heater and some hardscape that covers the intake a little.

treesap

AcornTheBetta said:
My betta sticks up with the overflow, but not the intake. I have my heater and some hardscape that covers the intake a little.
Oh, I mean the overflow, but I also see that the filter is so strong that it reaches the overflow so I panicked when I remembered reading somewhere that Fluval Spec V's overflow can tear betta fins.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
treesap said:
Oh, I mean the overflow, but I also see that the filter is so strong that it reaches the overflow so I panicked when I remembered reading somewhere that Fluval Spec V's overflow can tear betta fins.
That could be the cause of my fin rot...
How would I tone it down?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
treesap said:
C349C271-BEFF-4614-918C-0391B81E2448.jpeg
Tank looks great and Vin is so cute!

treesap

AcornTheBetta said:
Well, I turn the filter on for the max amount of 4 - 5 hours every day (usually less) and I heard to use a Fluval V spec mini sponge to cover the output but that doesn't work for the outflow portion (could be used for just the outflow concern)... :/ So I use airstones and stuff to agitate the surface to give him air. There's an article that I don't remember the name of but if u search up how to betta proof a Fluval Spec V it will show... And fin rot, I use API aquarium salt.

AquaticQueen said:
Tank looks great and Vin is so cute!
Thank you!

Quiche

Lovely habitat you have there for Vincent! ^^
As for the filter flow, I've found angling the output nozzle up and towards the glass helps deflect it a little bit. I have a Fluval Spec too; have you tried moving the slider on the the submersible pump box to the minimum "-" side and see if that flow is low enough to keep it on all the time? I haven't found a good solution for the overflow grill thoughl- I currently have some baby platies in there, so I stuck in a chunk of filter sponge (cut to size) to cover it. (I guess this works better for stopping stray fry from swimming in rather than fin tears though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

treesap

Quiche said:
As for the filter flow, I've found angling the output nozzle up and towards the glass helps deflect it a little bit. I have a Fluval Spec too; have you tried moving the slider on the the submersible pump box to the minimum "-" side and see if that flow is low enough to keep it on all the time? I haven't found a good solution for the overflow grill thoughl- I currently have some baby platies in there, so I stuck in a chunk of filter sponge (cut to size) to cover it. (I guess this works better for stopping stray fry from swimming in rather than fin tears though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
I did turn it all the way down to "-" and for me, I angle my outflow towards the glass and down vertically because I own a betta and bettas tend to be near the surface, that way the flow won't be directly aiming in their main swimming space. And Thanks!

AcornTheBetta said:
Vivo said:
Quiche said:
Here is an article that explains a lot on Fluval Spec V and controlling the outflow.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
treesap said:
Here is an article that explains a lot on Fluval Spec V and controlling the outflow.
I'm going to redirect my output and then cover the overflow with this spare filter floss I have lying around

treesap is it ok if zip tied the sponge to the overflow or would that cut my betta's fins?

treesap

AcornTheBetta said:
treesap is it ok if zip tied the sponge to the overflow or would that cut my betta's fins?
Maybe tie the zip tie facing towards the back of the filter. Yeah that sounds good!

Vivo

treesap said:
So, how do you adjust the flow?

treesap

Vivo said:
So, how do you adjust the flow?
I just adjust the flow so that the nozzle is verticle and i pointed it down and towards the glass. The Intake another problem though, it's a bit strong and i don't know how to fix that part

Vivo

treesap said:
I did turn it all the way down to "-" and for me, I angle my outflow towards the glass and down vertically because I own a betta and bettas tend to be near the surface, that way the flow won't be directly aiming in their main swimming space. And Thanks!

Good article! Thanks for posting for us. I forgot about the adjustable heater and love the idea of mesh in the out take.

Top Bottom