5 Gallon Nano Invertebrate Tank?

1. Jahnikar Member Member

So after playing musical tanks yesterday, I now have an empty 5 gallon tank and my MTS has set in again. :;smack I did a little reading in the saltwater nano forum and I think I've decided to do a invertebrate nano tank. I will not be adding any fish, unless it's possible to add a single small, colorful fish as a centerpiece (If not, I don't mind. I'm quite excited about a shrimp/snail/coral/etc only tank).

I guess my first question is what all do I need? I'm planning to get this CaribSea Arag-Alive Gravel, live rock, and going to use my extra Marineland Visi-Therm 25 watt heater. Do I need a skimmer? If so, what one do you all recommend? Do I need a seperate filter? If so, will my Duetto 50 be an ok filter?

I'm sure I have a million more questions but I can't remember them at the moment lol

2. cameronpalte Member Member

It really depends on what you want to do. If you are using live rock and coral or just one and the other. Coral for example will require you to get a separate light. As for your filter you probably don't need one as your shrimp will be good cleaners. Also be careful about fish because they breed profusely. Check to make sure your shrimp and snails are coral safe ect., salt water tanks take a lot of research... I'll let someone else take it from here.

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, Cameron. You've managed to get marine fish to breed profusely, particularly in a nano tank? If so, you've got a pretty awesome talent there. There are some marine fish that will breed in captivity, but almost none that can be said to breed profusely enough to overpopulate a tank. Further, if you look at what Jahnikar said, we're looking for a single fish. There shouldn't be any breeding problems with that.
    Also, what shrimp have you kept that replace a filter? Normally, they just pick stuff up off the rock and the glass. They don't clean anything out of the water column.

Jahnikar,
    I haven't kept a marine tank, but I've looked into doing what you're thinking about doing. I've seen what a skimmer pulls out of the water in a day's time. That stuff will eventually break down into ammonia. In such a small tank, that could create a nitrogen spike very quickly. I'd go with a skimmer.
    Some people don't keep filters in their marine tanks, as the power head and live rock acts as a biological filter. However, there's no mechanical filter involved in this.
    I cannot answer on the fish. What I looked at was a nano aquarium loaded with nothing but live rock, and maybe a colorful little shrimp.

4. Jahnikar Member Member

Thank you Sirdarksol! I have a feeling we are gonna end up going with a skimmer, just seems like the smartest thing to do. Man there is so much to research and learn... I have a feeling it's gonna be quite a while before we even attempt to set this up.

5. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

You will not regret getting a good protein skimmer, especially after you see what it pulls out of the water.

6. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I'm with SDS - Cameron, please let me know which marine fish species is known to breed profusely in a captive environment :;sh ???

Jahnikar - It really comes down to a skimmer or more water changes. In a nano, a skimmer would almost be a 'must have' item, given it wouldn't take much to swing the chemistry of the water in the wrong direction. The skimmer will help by removing excess Dissolved Organic Carbons (DOCs aka proteins), which includes stuff like uneaten food. The advantage is that by removing the sources, the production of nitrates is reduced. Note: A skimmer does not remove nitrates, ammonia etc from the water, just some of the organic matter that creates them.

Here's a link to some species that can be considered for a nano - check each species, as they're not all suitable for a 5G - https://www.fishlore.com/small_saltwater_fish_tank_species.htm

Here's a good page about corals, that covers lighting, flow etc https://www.fishlore.com/keeping-coral-reef-tank.htm

And another link to Protein Skimmers - there's some reviews at the bottom of the page, particularly have a look at the Tunze Nano ;)

Sorry to fire links at you, but why re-invent the wheel right?

SDS and Mike: Ahh, anyone for a cup of skimmer tea? :giggle:

7. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Ryan: Ew.

8. mikegip Initiate Member

I can see Ryan almost every thread.
    thx for your suggestion and input.:;voices