5 gallon long stocking?

1. 19jimmy17 Member Member

so i have this 5-7 gallon long tank that i been cycling for a little over a month. I'm most likely going to do a shrimp tank which is the best route. But my local fish store has some spotted blue eyes (Pseudomugil gertrudae) in stock which i was wondering if i could put 4 or 5 in it? i figured since its a long tank it will give them some swimming room.

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I would think blue eyes would need more space to swim although they are very small. I'm no expert so I'd wait for others to chime in.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I think you should stick with the shrimp idea, 5 gallons isn't really enough space for a schooling fish even the smallest need swimming room.

4. walt722 Initiate Member

I would agree with everyone else that is not enough room for blue eyes. I have kept them before in a 55 and they were all over the tank. Also in a 5 to have 5 blue eyes I would think that that would be overstocked either way.

5. 19jimmy17 Member Member

These are smaller blue eyes which are really shy which is why I asked. I have other blue eye species in my other tanks I just thought these ones would be an exception because I read they don't like being around fast moving fish and do best in a tank by them selfs

6. Tropicalfishlover18 Initiate Member

I'll stick to the shrimp idea, you might be able to add a snail too