5 gallon hex, shrimp?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by vasqua03, Apr 1, 2012.

1. vasqua03Valued MemberMember

I may have a 5 gallon in my hands in a few days with filter and heater. I was thinking of getting it set up with some sand like substrate and getting it planted. I want to put a small piece of driftwood (branchlike) that come up to the filter with a bit of moss, some java fern and maybe an anubia. First time planting a tank too. Let it run for a few months but ultimately I would love to own a bamboo shrimp and maybe a red crystal shrimp too. I really like the tigers and the blue shrimp but I ma not sure i can source them. Can I keep a couple of shrimp in this kind of tank? I wouldn't even try to put fish in here so if this isn't an option then I don;t really know what to do :( Thoughts? suggestions?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Bamboo's get too big, but Cherry, Chrystal, Tiger, etc, are good choices :)

3. SJ408New MemberMember

5G is more than enough to keep shrimp!

4. cameronpalteValued MemberMember

To start for fish a single beta fish would be nice.

10 gallons is absolute minimum for a bamboo shrimp so they get to big. However crystal shrimps are fine, though I recommend red cherry shrimps which you can fit ~50 in a 5g (100% estimating, confirm this number before making decisions. Note that red cherry shrimp reproduce so don't start with this many).

5. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

If you get a betta Make sure to get to know him to see if he can have tank mates bettas will make quick snacks out of RCS

6. SJ408New MemberMember

+1 to what imca29 said. I had a betta with 10 RCS. He enjoyed them as food more than tank mates:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice