5 gallon hex, shrimp?

1. vasqua03 Member Member

I may have a 5 gallon in my hands in a few days with filter and heater. I was thinking of getting it set up with some sand like substrate and getting it planted. I want to put a small piece of driftwood (branchlike) that come up to the filter with a bit of moss, some java fern and maybe an anubia. First time planting a tank too. Let it run for a few months but ultimately I would love to own a bamboo shrimp and maybe a red crystal shrimp too. I really like the tigers and the blue shrimp but I ma not sure i can source them. Can I keep a couple of shrimp in this kind of tank? I wouldn't even try to put fish in here so if this isn't an option then I don;t really know what to do :( Thoughts? suggestions?

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Bamboo's get too big, but Cherry, Chrystal, Tiger, etc, are good choices :)

3. SJ408 Initiate Member

5G is more than enough to keep shrimp!

4. cameronpalte Member Member

To start for fish a single beta fish would be nice.

10 gallons is absolute minimum for a bamboo shrimp so they get to big. However crystal shrimps are fine, though I recommend red cherry shrimps which you can fit ~50 in a 5g (100% estimating, confirm this number before making decisions. Note that red cherry shrimp reproduce so don't start with this many).

5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

If you get a betta Make sure to get to know him to see if he can have tank mates bettas will make quick snacks out of RCS

6. SJ408 Initiate Member

+1 to what imca29 said. I had a betta with 10 RCS. He enjoyed them as food more than tank mates:p