5 Gallon - Guppy Breeding?

LuckyFish58

Reaction score
I have a spare 5 Gallon/ 20L tank that I'm cleaning (pics below) and I was wondering if I could breed guppies in it. The fry can be relocated into a larger tank, and I have filters, heaters etc. for both tanks. I can't afford an expensive tank, as I am on a tight budget, but I can make do with some second-hand tanks. Any suggestions? Thanks!
image (2).jpeg
image (1).jpeg

Attachments

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally think you could make do with just a breeding trio of endlers or endler hybrids in that tank, assuming you'd be relocating fry regularly. Not sure if I'd feel as comfortable with guppies, since they tend to be a bit larger with a higher bioload.

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have a bigger tank (10+ gallons) maybe breed them in there and raise the fry in the 5 gallons. Otherwise, bettas are super pretty if you want a fish in the 5 gallon.

OP
L

LuckyFish58

Reaction score
already got a betta and looking for other types of fish to keep. I'm sick of my betta getting finrot all the time, no matter how many treatments and water changes I do
I might be able to find a bigger tank though.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldnt do Guppies in a 5, no way, not even a 10. Id go with a 20 long. I bred Guppies for like 20 years and they are SUPER active. To have 2 or 3 females and a male, youll want a 20L.

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Could you do it? Absolutely.
Should you? Maybe not.
A lot of people recommend 10+ gallons for guppies because they're super active and like to scurry around quite a bit. Might be worth taking with a grain of salt, but such recommendations often exist for a reason.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is not ideal to bread in such small tanks, the females will be constantly harrassed by the males, the fry will be mixed sex, and they will breed even more fish.
Adult guppies need a 10 gallon minimum. the 5 gallon could be a grow out tank for the fry, but do you have a plan for the fry when they get larger?

if you are havin troubles with betta in small tanks, You could try a female betta or male placet "short finned betta" in the ten gallon with some tank mates. Small tanks are pains in backs.

OP
L

LuckyFish58

Reaction score
I might look into short finned bettas, but what about wild bettas? I've heard they're easier to keep and don't get finrot as often. Where would I be able to buy them from?

New Threads