5 Gallon For Daughter

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jobu, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Jobu

Jobu New Member Member

my 10 yr old has been asking for a tank for quite a while and found a little 5 gallon she liked. My question was what stocking options will she have?

Setting aside my own struggles with bettas lately she really wants one. I told her that plus maybe a few red cherry shrimp or amanos, but wasn't sure if it could realistically support any other fish with a betta.

Any suggestions?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

3. OP
    OP
    Jobu

Jobu New Member Member

Good find, any thoughts on what would be compatible with a betta in a 5 gallon besides shrimp/inverts?

4. BottomDweller

Nothing. The minimum tank size for keeping bettas with other fish is 20 gallons.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Nothing much, the only thing that's suitable with a betta in a 5 gallon tank are just shrimp/inverts, IMHO

6. OP
    OP
    Jobu

Jobu New Member Member

That's what I thought too.

7. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

Snails are a common one. Additionally for some Bettas (add betta last, not the same week IMHO) are super aggressive others are not. A asian stone catfish (forgot temp... Ignore the asian stone cat) or a few endlers have been successful. You can also do different types of shrimp.

8. BottomDweller

Asian stone catfish would need cooler water than bettas though.

9. ashenwelt

Dang. Forgot that! Skip that. Lol.

Post edited. Good catch.

10. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I agree with the others, a betta and inverts is all that I'd put in a 5g.

Even that may not work out as individual bettas each have their different personalites, and some are prone to eating dwarf shirmp, such as those in the genus neocaridina, which are colourful and easier to keep than other dwarf shrimp varieties, and for that reason are usually the most commonly available.

There are also nerite snails with varying colour patterns which are fun to keep, and will add more colour and variety to your daughter's aquarium.

11. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

Depending on the personality of your betta a few African dwarf frogs might work.

12. ashenwelt

Something I always kinda laugh at... is that in many ways it seems like killifish should have been the fish that people buy instead of bettas for the small tanks. Many of the beliefs on Bettas are facts for many types of Killis. And both are incredibly pretty.

13. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

I really like the way killis look, but the thing that puts me off about them is their short lifespans:(

14. ashenwelt

Not all Killifish have short lifespans. Many are 3-4 years. And still incredible. Check out Fundulopanchex Gardneri Rayfield. Gorgeous and NOT an annual.

15. n

neongirl Valued Member Member

I would do shrimp and snails!! They both have so much personality and are constantly moving. At least my mystery snail is always on the move!!

16. EliteJY995

EliteJY995 Valued Member Member

Actually I have a Betta with a bunch of other fish and inverts in my ten gallon and it seems fine

17. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Anecdotal...just because it works once does not mean it will always work. Most bettas will not work with "a bunch of other fish" in a 10g, it is even less likely to work in a 5g.

As for OP, I would let your daughter pick out her favorite betta, since she will have more interaction with a fish rather than inverts. Also, they have so many colors that she will have a fun time deciding. Make sure she understands the responsibility of taking care of the betta though! Good time to teach.

18. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

ADFs are poor competitors when it comes to food, and can easily be out competed for food by the betta (or any other fish for that matter), trying to spot feed in such a small tank (5g) will only result in a very full/overfed betta.

ADFs also have poor eyesight and may see the flowing fins of a betta as food, resulting in nipped/torn fins.

Really, african dwarf frogs are best kept in a species only tank.

19. Katelyn Dunn

Katelyn Dunn Valued Member Member

I had snails with mine and I loved them.

20. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

It depends with the betta's temperament. The "20 gallon" thing is just a recommendation, not a rule. It can still be done

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice