5 Gallon for a fry tank?

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a 5 Gallon That is currently empty. I plan on getting guppys this weekend or endlers and would like to have a fry tank for them to grow up in. Is a 5 Gallon Ok?

Thanks

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if it is empty, it is not cycled. I would either seed it with a lot of meida or get a breeding net anf put the net in an established tank. It think the latter is the way to go so you don't get cycles that can harm your sensitive babies. I have raised many fry in breeder nets with some java moss and ramshorn snails with excellent results, so you could do that until your 5 gal is established

Kopeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Seed your tank with filter media from your 10 gallon tank.

I put my filter media in panty hose and put it in the tank.

Insta cycle

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Take it from me (and my dead shrimp) 5 gallon are difficult to keep cycled if the bioload is small, which it would be in a 5 gallon fry tank unless you had a *lot* of fry in it. And fry definitely need a cycled, stable tank. But if you can keep it stable and cycled, it'd be a great tank for small fry.

-Lisa

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well to answer your question, yes 5 gallon is plenty

Not sure about the instability of a small bio-load in a larger tank, I have 6 angelfish fry (not great, I know lol) in a 34G
Just do daily 10-15% water changes and they will be ifne

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes a 5 gallon will work fine, although I prefer using a 10. It really depends on how many fry you plan to put in there, and for how long.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads