5 Gallon Betta Tank

1. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Ok, so I have a 5 gallon tank
    15 gallon filter
    78F
    1 male betta
    5 African dwarf Frogs
    My betta Is very docile, doesn't bother the frogs, and I also had him in with 3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (Until I realized they weren't suppose to be in 78F) and never nipped at them either.

So, I was wondering if

a. I could divide the tank and have
    one side- 2 ADF, 1 male betta
    other- 2 ADF, 1 Female/Male Betta

Or

b. Could I put any other fish in with him?

Any replies are welcome and appreciated. :)

Rain (AKA: MR. Grumps) ;) - He's also my avatar
    [​IMG]

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

IMO, I think you're overstocked with the 5 ADF's and the betta. If it were me, I would move the ADF's into their own species-only tank that's a 10-15g min and then let the betta have the 5g to himself.

3. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Well, I would move them if I had more room. This is the best I have for them, unless they can be moved to a 2.5 gallons, which they can't…

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You could put one frog in the 2.5g and rehome the rest? But I wouldn't add any more fish in the 5g.

5. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I would move the ADFs to my 29 gallon, but do you think they would be ok with
    8 Kuhli loaches
    2 Amano shrimp
    And 1 vampire shrimp?

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I would be concerned that they would be out-competed for food as is the case when you have ADFs in any community tank. If you can get the food to them directly, I think it will work. If the above are the only inhabitants, it would be much better than being in the 5g with the betta!

7. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

That's not all that's in the 29 gallon, those are just what would be on the bottom. The 29 gallon will (soon) be consisting of-
    1 Dwarf gourami
    8 Kuhli loaches
    2 Amano shrimp
    15 neon tetra
    8 Harlequin rasbora
    5 otocinclus
    3 Nerite snails
    1 Vampire shrimp

I've had these frogs 3+ years and they did just fine with Cory cats, they stayed plenty plump and healthy. ;) I'm not concerned about them eating as much as them eating Amano shrimp. My first year with them I had them in a 5 gallon with 2 guppies and a ghost shrimp(Now I know I overstocked, it was my first year keeping Fish for myself). They ate the ghost shrimp which was about the size of them .

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I would worry that they would not get enough to eat because of how many more inhabitants that are in this tank than the previous tanks you kept them in. I'd also worry about the DG bothering them.

Also, there's very little temp overlap between the neons, otos and the frogs since you would probably need to keep this tank under 75F.

9. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Thank you for your concern, but this post is about my 5 gallon. I've got a plan for my frogs, and they are going to be fine ;)
    So, when i move the frogs, should/could I
    A. Divide the tank and have a betta on each side
    Or
    B. Put some Fish in with him
    (If B., what fish and how many)

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

No other fish in with your betta in the 5 gallon. I'd be leery of dividing a tank that small for 2 bettas unless you absolutely had to. Bettas are active fish and like space;)

11. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Ok, thank you ;)

12. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Ok, you did mention the possibility of moving them to your 29g so that's why I was making you aware of issues if you did move them there. :)

And no, I wouldn't divide the 5g nor would I add any more fish.