5 Gal tank

JMatt1983

Reaction score
as of right now, you are so overstocked its not even funny the general rul is 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water, the mollies I believe grow to be 2-3" each, the tetras 2" each, the sword tail I think is around 5", so you've got 21 inches of fish in a 5 gallon tank, I'm sorry to say that you'll either HAVE to get a bigger tank for your fish, at least 30 gallons, or take all but 2 back including the sword tail, a pleco can grow to be around 15-20"

OP
C

clownfish lady

Reaction score
oh really  dang I was told that I could have ten fish in my 5 gal tank I guess the sales man wanted the sale. thanks for your help.

JMatt1983

Reaction score
yea, he was just trying to sell you a product, if I were you I would look for a better fish store in your area

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Clown fish lady ... unfortunately, you were lied to at the fish store. 99% of the people at fish stores do not know the basics of fish keeping such as Cycling as well how many fish (and what sizes of fish) one can put into a tank of this and that size. Your tank is indeed very overstocked right now, and I'd advise you not to get anymore fish. A Plecostomus needs at least a 75 gallon tank, so this fish is very out of question.

For the current list of fish that you have, you need at least a 15 gallon tank in my opinion. If you want to add another platy to it, a 20 gallon tank would be better. As I've said before, a Pleco is out of question for even a 20 gallon tank, not to mention a 5 gallon tank.

I am sorry to be saying all of this to you, but it's the truth. If you haven't already done so, please learn about the nitrogen cycle: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm as well as read the rest of the beginner's articles: https://www.fishlore.com/Beginners.htm. All of this is for your own good as well as for the good of your fish.

OP
C

clownfish lady

Reaction score
thank you for the info no we haven't gotten it yet your post has stoped us. this tank is our starter tank we are hoping to upgrade to a much bigger one we are now hooked ;Dnever knew how fun it was to have one now we love it. ;D going to check out the other links you have posted for me thanks agian for the help. your a life saver.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Please upgrade to a bigger (I'd say at least 15 gallon, 20 even better) tank asap. Most of the fish in there are either too big or too active for that small of a tank, and it is way to overstocked for the fish to be comfortable and to maintain good water quality. Your fish will be a lot happier in a bigger tank.

New Threads