5 gal Shrimp tank?

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Ben3721, Jul 13, 2015.

1. B

Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

So I was about to shut down my 5 gallon tank. Which has no more fish in it at all. But I looked a bit online about cherry and ghost shrimp and thought that could be an option. I read that certain shrimp can tolerate many temperatures. Since its a 5 gallon id rather run my heater as all the water evaporates VERY fast and causes water hardness issues if i don't do a lot of water changes.

So i have a few questions.
    Which small shrimp would work best without a heater? Avg room temp is 72.
    Do they breed and populate? Do any types of small shrimp breed pretty easy?
    I have some live plants in it and use a plant fert sometimes. Is that a problem? I know copper is harmful to them. I have not put any plant fert in it in over a month.

Anything else i should be aware of? Such as water hardness?
    Which small shrimp would be the best for my situation?

Thanks for the input!

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Cherry shrimp would be your best choice. They breed pretty easy and they can live in a tank without a heater. Just as long as the temp doesn't drop to the 60's, you should be good. Using fertilizers is fine. Most fertilizers today contain little copper and won't harm shrimp at all. I would run a sponge filter, baby shrimp are known to get sucked up filter intakes. Or you use a pantyhose or a small sponge on the filter output. This should help:) https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/162-freshwater-shrimp-beginners.html

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    B

I read they love eating off the sponge filters. Tomorrow ill set a homemade one up. And make sure i get a full seal lid on that tank to fight evaporation and prevent any from trying to get out. As for identifying gender. How hard is that for cherry shrimp?

4. AquaticBrandon

You can buy one, they are very cheap :). Sexing them is pretty easy
    Males are less colorful than the female, some transparent with a few red speckles. The males are smaller than the females. Females are more colorful. They are a bright red. They develop something on their backs that is known as a "saddle" when they are mature and ready to breed. The name says it all, you will see the yellow saddle on their back. It should be easy to sex these guys.

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I think kidster9700 can help sex your shrimps.

6. AquaticBrandon

This link should also help with sexing them  

7. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

theres a few easy ways to sex them. color like AquaticBrandon said, or even their tummies! on both cherry and ghost shrimps the females have a rounded belly and the males are straight. i've been able to use the point on my ghosts' backs to determine sex quite successfully; pointier is male and less pointy is female however i'm not sure if thats true with cherries. color is definitely the fastest way to sex them though. the "uglier ones" (as my coworker says) without color or only specks of color are males.
    cherry shrimp really do sound perfect for you! post pictures of your tank once it's set up ;)

8. OP
    OP
    B

Cool ty everyone. Later down the road could I add a few to my other tank that has a clown pleco in it or will they bother the pleco? Also are these guys like snails and will over populate?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice