5 gal. Reef??

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by Cody6511, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Cody6511Valued MemberMember

Hey everyone! I purchased a 5 gal hex. Marineland Kit aquarium recently and I have it set up with a betta. But just today i went to a place called Aquarium adventures and I was inspired by some of the amazing reef tanks they had up and running. I have never tried salt water aquariums so I am going to need a lot of guidance lol. I guess my first question would be is 5 gallons enough to do anything with? I have seen mini reef tanks on google that people set up in 5 gal tanks but like i said I have no idea what all i would need to do/equipment needed/coral and fish possibilities. So if anyone can offer me insight i would love to hear it!! Thanks so much in advance!!

:;f :;fr

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi Cody,
    I'm a big advocate of 'bigger is better', especially for marine. I'm not a SW person (yet!), but everytime I think about a nano tank, I remind myself that a lot of marine livestock is hand caught from reefs, and thus are used to big backyards to play in.

That said, I would imagine you could quite succesfully hold a coral or two on live rock with maybe one clown (nemo).

Don't forget, going marine (salt) is not just a matter of adding salt to the water. There is a lot of hardware/equipment you need to consider, just off the top of my head:

Protein Skimmer
    Hydrometer
    Lighting (especially important for reef as corals have specific light requirements)
    Filtration
    Power heads
    and lots more.

Anyway, hope that gives you a start, and I'm sure some of our saltie friends will stop by to give more advice.

3. ATP

ATPWell Known MemberMember

As of a start, I do not reccomend any thing under 30 gallons for a first time. Especially if its a reef, but that is just my opinion as I could not stand taking the time to take care of a 30 gal reef :p

I too am a fan of bigger the better. It would be hard to maintain proper reef parameters in small tanks. What I always see people do is like a 5-10 gal DT and a 30 gallon sump underneath. That would make things a lot easier :)

There are some great links on FL (not the forum section) that shows the basics of SW and reefs

ATP

4. OP
    OP
    C

Cody6511Valued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice :) I think ill wait til i get a bigger tank lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice