5 gal. Reef??

Cody6511

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone! I purchased a 5 gal hex. Marineland Kit aquarium recently and I have it set up with a betta. But just today i went to a place called Aquarium adventures and I was inspired by some of the amazing reef tanks they had up and running. I have never tried salt water aquariums so I am going to need a lot of guidance lol. I guess my first question would be is 5 gallons enough to do anything with? I have seen mini reef tanks on google that people set up in 5 gal tanks but like i said I have no idea what all i would need to do/equipment needed/coral and fish possibilities. So if anyone can offer me insight i would love to hear it!! Thanks so much in advance!!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Cody,
I'm a big advocate of 'bigger is better', especially for marine. I'm not a SW person (yet!), but everytime I think about a nano tank, I remind myself that a lot of marine livestock is hand caught from reefs, and thus are used to big backyards to play in.

That said, I would imagine you could quite succesfully hold a coral or two on live rock with maybe one clown (nemo).

Don't forget, going marine (salt) is not just a matter of adding salt to the water. There is a lot of hardware/equipment you need to consider, just off the top of my head:

Protein Skimmer
Hydrometer
Lighting (especially important for reef as corals have specific light requirements)
Filtration
Power heads
and lots more.

Anyway, hope that gives you a start, and I'm sure some of our saltie friends will stop by to give more advice.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As of a start, I do not reccomend any thing under 30 gallons for a first time. Especially if its a reef, but that is just my opinion as I could not stand taking the time to take care of a 30 gal reef

I too am a fan of bigger the better. It would be hard to maintain proper reef parameters in small tanks. What I always see people do is like a 5-10 gal DT and a 30 gallon sump underneath. That would make things a lot easier

There are some great links on FL (not the forum section) that shows the basics of SW and reefs

ATP

Cody6511

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the advice I think ill wait til i get a bigger tank lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom