5 gal. guppy stocking help

MangoPineapple

Hi everyone, I currently own a 5 gal. (tall) tank that is housing 3 male guppies, one ivory mystery snail, one nerite snail, one ghost shrimp and a small red shrimp (unsure of what type, he's a neo. for sure but I don't know specifics.) I would like to add another fish if possible, it is planted with I think 3 anubias dwarf plants, one java fern and one amazon sword, I am also thinking about planting dwarf hairgrass is that ok? I am able to get more plants (which low-light plants would you recommend?) if necessary to accommodate a new fish, I could just remove the giant bubbler and buy a small decoration for some extra cover. What peaceful non-schooling/shoaling fish would you recommend? I'm not really picky about colors, just something that will stand out against my black sand. I would also prefer them to not eat my shrimp or attack my guppies, and if possible I would like them to not tear out my plants. I am up for a slight challenge but I would like if it could also be a beginner level fish as I am new to the hobby. If necessary I also have a different 5 gal. (long) tank that I was planning on planting that currently houses three male guppies and one nerite snail that I could move one of my guppies to. And in case it helps I have potting soil (sifted and baked) with a thin layer of aquarium gravel (was in this tank before I re-scaped) with a rather thick layer of sand on top. Thank you so much in advance and I can't wait to hear everyone's advice!

Edit: I really enjoy the look of cory catfishes but alas my tank is too small, would a Kuhli loach possibly be ok? My only concern is with how big they get, so that's probably a no go too. I would prefer a bottom dweller as my guppies like the mid to upper sections of the tank. It also has to be a fish that can be kept alone, I can't push the limits on this tank that far

devsi

Honestly, I think you're tank is already overstocked. Guppies love to swim around and a 5 Gallon is too small IMO.

I wouldn't add any more fish to that tank.

MangoPineapple

Honestly, I think you're tank is already overstocked. Guppies love to swim around and a 5 Gallon is too small IMO.

I wouldn't add any more fish to that tank.
They all have bright scales, love to swim around and explore, although you are probably right that it's a little overstocked but I make sure to keep up on maintenance. I am trying to convince my parents to let me do another 10 gal. tank or a 12 gal. bowl so I could move them to it. If I did manage to move them into a new tank, what could I put in their old tank? I don't want just shrimp and snails, I would like a fish or possibly a frog, any suggestions?

Chewbacca773

They all have bright scales, love to swim around and explore, although you are probably right that it's a little overstocked but I make sure to keep up on maintenance. I am trying to convince my parents to let me do another 10 gal. tank or a 12 gal. bowl so I could move them to it. If I did manage to move them into a new tank, what could I put in their old tank? I don't want just shrimp and snails, I would like a fish or possibly a frog, any suggestions?
You could do ADFs (African Dwarf Frogs). I'm pretty sure they can go in a 5 gal

devsi

They all have bright scales, love to swim around and explore, although you are probably right that it's a little overstocked but I make sure to keep up on maintenance.

Unfortunately, it's not just about maintenance, although that's definitely important, it's more about how much room they have and a 5 Gallon tank isn't enough room for them. I have an ~50 Gallon tank and they love to swim around the whole tank, playing, which they simply can't do in a tank a tenth of the size.

If I did manage to move them into a new tank, what could I put in their old tank? I don't want just shrimp and snails, I would like a fish or possibly a frog, any suggestions?

Again, honestly, the only thing I'd consider putting in a 5 gallon would be a single Betta. That's it.

MangoPineapple

Unfortunately, it's not just about maintenance, although that's definitely important, it's more about how much room they have and a 5 Gallon tank isn't enough room for them. I have an ~50 Gallon tank and they love to swim around the whole tank, playing, which they simply can't do in a tank a tenth of the size.

Again, honestly, the only thing I'd consider putting in a 5 gallon would be a single Betta. That's it.
I am hoping to upgrade their tank by the end of the year, but for now I believe that they are doing great. They are exhibiting normal guppy signs, they play, eat and swim around. So far they’ve been thriving in this tank. And I do agree that they could probably use more space, I just don’t have the budget for it right now and I will have to make do with what I have.

And I would love to have a betta in their old tank! They’re super pretty and I think I’d love having one
You could do ADFs (African Dwarf Frogs). I'm pretty sure they can go in a 5 gal
I heard that they require a pair, is that true? Could I fit a pair of frogs in here or would there be too much waste?

devsi

That's a decision only you can make, I'm merely sharing my opinion :)

MangoPineapple

That's a decision only you can make, I'm merely sharing my opinion :)
Thank you for that by the way, I totally agree that they need a bigger tank. The problem is my budget/convincing my parents to let me get a 10 gal.

And then I plan on selling the old 5 gal. because my options are too limited. Then I’ll use those funds to buy another 10 gal. What do you think I could put in a 10 gal?

devsi

Thank you for that by the way, I totally agree that they need a bigger tank. The problem is my budget/convincing my parents to let me get a 10 gal.

You're welcome :) We'll all just trying to do our best after all.

What do you think I could put in a 10 gal?

You'd still be pretty limited with a 10 gallon, to be honest. Your guppies would be a lot happier, and you may be able to get a couple more, but I wouldn't want to add a Betta in there with other fish, for example.

It's all about research though, and there are people on here that would be able to answer the 10 gal question a lot better than me :)

I just wouldn't add any more fish to your 5 gal.

MangoPineapple

You're welcome :) We'll all just trying to do our best after all.

You'd still be pretty limited with a 10 gallon, to be honest. Your guppies would be a lot happier, and you may be able to get a couple more, but I wouldn't want to add a Betta in there with other fish, for example.

It's all about research though, and there are people on here that would be able to answer the 10 gal question a lot better than me :)

I just wouldn't add any more fish to your 5 gal.
Thank you, I definitely won’t put any more fish to this tank. I will do my research on what I can put in a 10 gal tank. Maybe a species only tank? Could I have a few Cory catfish or a few kuhli loaches in a 10 gal?

devsi

Thank you, I definitely won’t put any more fish to this tank.

Thank you for being receptive to the feedback :)

Could I have a few Cory catfish or a few kuhli loaches in a 10 gal?

I honestly wouldn't want to give you this advice, one way or another, because I haven't done the necessary research.

MangoPineapple

Thank you for being receptive to the feedback :)

I honestly wouldn't want to give you this advice, one way or another, because I haven't done the necessary research.
Ok thank you for help! I’ll post a new thread asking for help from someone who owns either Cory catfish or kuhli loaches

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
20 Gallon Tank Stocking a 20g Long
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
Replies