5-7 Gallon Tank Kits

cmb19
I know the kits aren't generally any good, but are any of these 3 even remotely ok to buy? My big plans have been ruined, but I would still like to have a small tank. I'm hoping maybe a couple small fish, undecided as of this moment, plus some shrimp if I can find them in my area. I do know I need a heater for any of these as well.
I would like to have a couple plants, but are these leds usable when it comes to them? Are plants a necessity for shrimp? I have attempted to piece together a tank, but I apparently am incapable of finding hoods/lights for a 5 gallon tank. A big worry is that I have 2 cats....who are jerks...and if they think they can get into the tank, they absolutely will try.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but the first tank appears to be larger while still being a 5g?

75g Discus Tank
The kits end up being a bit more expensive than what I do.

Go to Craigslist and get all of your aquarium stuff there.
It is dirt cheap most of the time.

I got an entire 20 long setup for $30 total.

But if you want an awesome tank, I recommend getting a Fluval Spec V.

bgclarke
The Hawkeye tanks are made by Kollercraft.

I have a 3 gallon tank by them and the lights were only good for general lighting.

If the lid on the 5 gallon is the standard Tetra lid, the lights are basic LEDs.

As mentioned, you'll get a better tank with the Fluval Spec V or the Fluval Flex 9.

Fanatic
I actually don’t buy kits unless they are made by Aqueon, because Tetra makes the GloFish brand, and the glass is way less thicker on those types of tanks.

cmb19
I wish I could find aquarium related things on my craigslist, facebook, etc, but I live in a very remote area and the few people that sell tanks and things want just as much as buying brand new.
I had planned a large tank, but my fiance has changed his mind on me setting one up. I'll look into the tanks you all mentioned, thanks!

mattgirl
I do hope you will be able to find a tank you will be happy with.

cmb19
I think I would change my mind on my choice of fiance unless there is a very reasonable reason for him changing HIS mind and forcing you to change yours.

That is more than a little dramatic.

mattgirl
That is more than a little dramatic.
I know but hopefully you will get to get what you want. Maybe you can let him know that it is easier to take care of a bigger tank because it really is. Little changes can affect a small amount of water a lot quicker than a larger amount of water. I hope y'all live a long and happy life together.

Samuel Howard
I you want a small one I would go with a basic set up. I got the maineland 5 gal portrait and its nice but the filtration suuuuucks. I needed to get a better filter to get the needed filtration. additionally if you want plants I would suggest the fluval nano. If it is small this light will provide enough light of the right wavelength to make your babies grow!

WTFish?
I have this 5 gallon from Walmart (another $10 for a heater) and it’s nice

(Wowzers, that’s a long link!) And I have this extra led light for my plants, (there are different lengths)which are thriving... I have 4 ember tetras and a gazillion shrimp, plants are, anubias, hornwort, water sprite and moss balls.

Mingdak LED Aquarium Light for Fish Tanks,18 Leds,7.5-inch,white

Edit...I replaced the filtration with a large double sponge for my shrimp...

chadlee930
I have the fluval spec v and the fluval flex 15 gallon... they are awesome!!! I recommend them both whichever you have room for.

cmb19
I've been reading about all the fluval tanks when I had time today, thanks for the suggestions!

On a side note, unless I'm really not reading that last link correctly, I had no idea there were submersible lights! I kind of love the idea of that!

Lunnietic
Yep, submersible lights exist.

WTFish?
I've been reading about all the fluval tanks when I had time today, thanks for the suggestions!

On a side note, unless I'm really not reading that last link correctly, I had no idea there were submersible lights! I kind of love the idea of that!
Yes, fully submersible....I love it!

Amberr567
If you live near a PetSmart you should look into their TopFin aquarium kits. I've bought two so far and haven't been disappointed in the quality. Just remember if you get a 5 gallon tank, you can't get too many fish...like I would say 3-4 fish max, plus 1-2 shrimp.
Most fish though, prefer a 10 gallon minimum (most fish stores will have the minimum tank size near the tank of the fish you are buying).

Here's a link to the kits PetSmart has. The 10 gallon is less than $50.

cmb19
If you live near a PetSmart you should look into their TopFin aquarium kits. I've bought two so far and haven't been disappointed in the quality. Just remember if you get a 5 gallon tank, you can't get too many fish...like I would say 3-4 fish max, plus 1-2 shrimp.
Most fish though, prefer a 10 gallon minimum (most fish stores will have the minimum tank size near the tank of the fish you are buying).

Here's a link to the kits PetSmart has. The 10 gallon is less than $50.

My closest Petsmart is 2 hours away, Petco is an hour and a half. There are a couple lfs 30-60 minutes from me, but none are great and don't have much of a selection. I might stop in the closest if I can get over there and see if they have a regular old 5 gallon glass tank. If I can find that, I can order the rest of the stuff online, I finally managed to find a glass lid that I can order and pick out a light for plants. I can't have any tanks shipped to me according to all the sites I've checked. Which is why I wondered about the walmart tanks, those can be shipped to my closest walmart.
I don't plan to have more than a couple fish, not entirely sure what yet, maybe endlers or guppies, just a couple either way. I was under the impression I could have several shrimp though. I'm hoping cherry shrimp...which I would have to have shipped to me no matter what shrimp I chose.

SegiDream
I think I would change my mind on my choice of fiance unless there is a very reasonable reason for him changing HIS mind and forcing you to change yours.

Kind of agree. OP I really hope there are reasonable compromises going on, cause your wings don't have to be clipped like that. I really wish you happiness and success with whatever you decide.

cmb19
I already divorced a selfish, greedy man who only cared about what he wanted and would buy/bring home/do whatever he chose whether I liked it or not. I will NOT lose an amazing man over something like a fish tank. There are, in fact, reasons he has to not have a larger tank right now. Does not mean I won't in the future. But that does not matter, in my world, a relationship involves 2 people, not just me. If I whined enough, I could have a 300 gallon tank, but I respect his wishes as well. Not that I have to defend myself and my relationship, but to tell someone to dump their future spouse over this is absolutely insane.

Amberr567
My closest Petsmart is 2 hours away, Petco is an hour and a half. There are a couple lfs 30-60 minutes from me, but none are great and don't have much of a selection. I might stop in the closest if I can get over there and see if they have a regular old 5 gallon glass tank. If I can find that, I can order the rest of the stuff online, I finally managed to find a glass lid that I can order and pick out a light for plants. I can't have any tanks shipped to me according to all the sites I've checked. Which is why I wondered about the walmart tanks, those can be shipped to my closest walmart.
I don't plan to have more than a couple fish, not entirely sure what yet, maybe endlers or guppies, just a couple either way. I was under the impression I could have several shrimp though. I'm hoping cherry shrimp...which I would have to have shipped to me no matter what shrimp I chose.
I'm sure the Walmart tanks are fine, I was just suggesting what I know!
My experience with shrimp is just that they are a little sensitive to things, but I've only had ghost shrimp, not cherry shrimp. I'd make sure to test the water often and wait until you've had fish in there for a few weeks before outting shrimp in.
Good luck on it though! I've been considering cherry shrimp for my 37 gallon myself but I haven't looked into them yet.

JamieXPXP
I do think it is a bit much to tell her to divorce her fiance over this as he probably has his reasons and it isn't that big of a deal.
I don't really like to buy kits as the filtration usually sucks and its impossible to find the filter media for it but fluval I hear has pretty good kits

SegiDream
Not that I have to defend myself and my relationship, but to tell someone to dump their future spouse over this is absolutely insane.

TBH I didn't say to dump them or to do anything actually. But I guess it's insane to tell someone you wish them the best?

cmb19
TBH I didn't say to dump them or to do anything actually. But I guess it's insane to tell someone you wish them the best?

The post you quoted did insinuate that, which is why I am so defensive. Thank you for the well wishes, I should have mentioned that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KinderScout
Replies
Views
Qwert
Top Bottom