5.5g Rescape. Any Suggestions?

KristenLD

I just rescaped my 5.5g and overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, considering this is basically my first actual aqua scape. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for improvement. This tank is going to house 1 male halfmoon betta and maybe some sort of invertebrate in the future.
I'm planning on adding a couple more plants. I'll most likely do another anubius and a java fern just because my tank light is dim.
Anyway here's the tank:

20220106_205442.jpg
Any other ideas or suggestions for hideouts/caves that still look natural?
Here's what I sort of had in mind for new plants and caves.

20220106_205444.jpg
Yes, I know it's an atrocity lol.
The thing on top of the rocks would be some sort of flatter rock. The little green plants are supposed to be anubias. The big one is java fern.

BigManAquatics

Hyger makes a pretty neat "log cave" that would look pretty nice in there. I have one in 2 of my betta tanks.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I would change the lighting to a different spot, because the plant on the left Looks like it’s too shaded. Might be the camera though

KristenLD

I would change the lighting to a different spot, because the plant on the left Looks like it’s too shaded. Might be the camera though
No, it's not the camera. The light is pretty dim. I was planning on just throwing out the lid and making my own and then getting a better light.

Fishnturtleguy933

Some java moss on the rocks would look pretty cool. You could put some shrimps in there down the line with the moss providing plenty of cover for shrimplets. Maybe move bacopa to the back empty corner with some driftwood behind the other plants. Looks great as is though.

KristenLD

Some java moss on the rocks would look pretty cool. You could put some shrimps in there down the line with the moss providing plenty of cover for shrimplets. Maybe move bacopa to the back empty corner with some driftwood behind the other plants. Looks great as is though.
I was definitely considering some sort of moss. My LFS doesn't have any though and it's too cold where I live to get anything shipped so I'll probably be looking to get something around May/June. And I love the idea of a colony of shrimp. Maybe RCS? I'll probably order everything off of Angelfins.ca so I'll see what they have for driftwood. Thanks for the suggestions.

Here's a better pic of the tank now that the sand has settled more. The lighting is better/more accurate.

20220107_110204.jpg

Fishnturtleguy933

That looks great! If you can get your hands on some java moss, shrimp go crazy for it. Some catappa leafs are good for the shrimps and the beta as well. I would definitely stick with rcs. Caridina aren't as easy to keep ime. Neos are way easier.
Edit: floating plants are also good for both shrimp and betas. Just keep enough space open at the top for your beta to breath air.

KristenLD

I just reconfigured the light and I think I know what I want to do. I just need to ask a question before I do it. So, I took the light from my 10g tank and I want to attach it to the inside of the 5.5g's lid. I have some Krazy glue that I was going use to attach the light. Question: will the glue damage the light in any way? Here's some pics of what I want to do:

20220107_125056.jpg

20220107_130509.jpg
20220107_125920.jpg
20220107_125050.jpg
Here's what the tank would look like with extra lighting:
20220107_132043.jpg
20220107_132040.jpg
It looks slightly brighter in person, I think.

KristenLD

Ended up just making a lid out of plastic mesh and putting lights on it. It's a lot brighter in the tank now. I changed a couple things in the tank so it's a bit cloudy. I'm doing one more small water change tonight to remove some dead plant matter and fish poop/food. I added some extra media to the filter too.

20220107_175343.jpg
I might change up the rocks a bit because I kind of buried them in the sand.

20220107_175452.jpg

carsonsgjs

A nice black background would finish that off nicely, as well as helping the filter and heater blend in.

KristenLD

A nice black background would finish that off nicely, as well as helping the filter and heater blend in.
If I did the black background, would it be okay if I painted it on the back with a fish in the tank or should I just do poster board?

carsonsgjs

If I did the black background, would it be okay if I painted it on the back with a fish in the tank or should I just do poster board?
I usually use acrylic spray paint, which can get everywhere if you aren’t careful so for the sake of your fish, I’d do it when the tank is empty. Otherwise poster board will do the job - plus you can always remove it and change the colour if you wanted.

KristenLD

I usually use acrylic spray paint, which can get everywhere if you aren’t careful so for the sake of your fish, I’d do it when the tank is empty. Otherwise poster board will do the job - plus you can always remove it and change the colour if you wanted.
Poster board is cheaper too lol. I'll go with the poster board. Thanks :).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishnturtleguy933
40 Gallon Tank Restock and rescape!
Replies
Views
Cowardlyslimeball
Replies
Views
Fishnturtleguy933
Replies