5.5 gallon tank stocking

1. N

Nano Tanks Valued Member Member

Hello fishlore people! I am planning a small 5.5 gallon tank and am wondering what i fish I should stock it with including a clean up crew. I was originally thinking of CPD but this is a low maintenance so I want some very easy fish. I was thinking of rasboras or danios but I'm not sure, just some small colorful easy fish!

2. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Danios need a lotmore space than 5.5gallons. I recommend a betta but if you really stay on top of water changes a school of six microrasbora might work. Look at microrasbora kubotai, strawberry rasboras or chili rasboras?

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What about a pair of scarlet badis? Or a pair of Aphyosemion killis?

4. OP
    OP
    N

I like the chili rasboras and scarlet badis. Can you have other fish with the scarlet badis? Also ideas on a clean up crew?

5. OP
    OP
    N

Also are scarlet badis picky eaters?

6. s

Clean up crew: Nerite snails and possibly shrimp. Can't give you much more info on the badis except they are tiny and cute and would fit in the tank, probably should be the only fish species in there though due to the size of the tank.

7. TexasDomer

You can. What do you want a clean up crew for? You're the best clean up crew.

They can be picky eaters, yes.

8. OP
    OP
    N

What fish do you recommend to keep with the Scarlets? Also I was thinking some CRS to clean up, are those compatible?

9. TexasDomer

Again, what are you trying to clean up? Algae, uneaten food?

I wouldn't keep CRS with badis - they're tricky to care for too. You can try RCS, but they might be eaten.

10. OP
    OP
    N

I want a clean up crew to eat algae and uneaten food, but I guess I don't need them. So are there any good tank mates for the scarlets, also do you have any? I don't want to have to feed live food everyday.

11. s

The chili rasboras should be ok withthe scarlet badis

12. TexasDomer

If you have uneaten food, then you're feeding too much. Algae can also be controlled by you, but if you like nerite snails, you can add them? They'll eat algae.

Instead of the scarlet badis, what about Asian stone catfish? You could keep a group of them and keep them with the chili rasbora. They're less picky.

13. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Would a stone catfish work with a betta and rabbit snail? Not to hack this thread, just wondering if this is another option. Here's an interesting article, some of the information is wrong, but good for ideas-
    http://www./nano-fish-for-small-aquariums-5134.html
    Like a danio shouldn't be in a 10g or a puffer in a 3G.

14. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

IMHO, bettas shouldn't be with any other fish. Also, I believe those catfish prefer cold temps.

15. Platylover

I was just curious, in a 5g it would probably be a little to cramp, but yeah they do require colder temps. So it wouldn't work... I just never heard of them before and never knew there was such a small catfish(granted I don't know that many catfish). Thanks.:)
    Forgot to mention OP, rabbit snails are really interesting(I have two), I'd recommend one if you get a snail.:)

16. TexasDomer

They would be fine in a 5.5 gal, but yes, not temp compatible with bettas.

17. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

No problem! :) I think snails and bettas are lovely roommates!

18. OP
    OP
    N

I'm might do a 8.5 instead of 5.5 to give the fish more room, could I do ottos and chili rasboras?

19. Platylover

Why not do a 10? Id say no to the ottos since they need a group.

20. TexasDomer

Agree, I think chili rasbora should be fine in the 8.5 (what are the dimensions?), but no to otos. Even a 10 gal is too small for them.

You could add nerites if you want algae eaters?