5.5 Gallon tank projects!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by mmolitor87, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

I was having a conversation with cichlidnut about where I can fit tanks that aren't over the top. He pointed out I might be able to fit some in my 60 gallon tank's stand! I immediately began searching for dimensions and found that 10 gallon tanks are a tad too large. This means I'll be doing 2x 5.5 gallons and would like input from you all!!

Tank 1:
    He insists I do one RCS tank, and I do think shrimp are neat so I'll be exploring this option. I guess my questions are as followed:
    • What kind of plants?
    • What kind of substrate?
    • How many RCS for a 5.5 gallon to start?
    • What would be the point where I should start finding homes when they breed?
    • Anything else you think I might need to know about RCS!

Tank 2:
    This one is open for popular vote! I was thinking maybe a betta, but I'm not sure I'd be okay with anything less than a 10 gallon for one.

Thanks! I'll be sure to post pictures when the tanks are done!

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Sure, blame me for everything. Thanks a lot!

3. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I think you should stock your 5.5 tank with everything from me. ;)

Why not take the opportunity to do a dirty tank with this? I even have some already prepared dirt and oscomote I'd be willing to mail.

And yes, blame absolutely everything on Nutso. For example, Greece's poor economy.

4. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

I quite like your ideas, sir. After I work out the details I will certainly be contacting you! Mr. cichlidnut also mentioned doing dirt and cap it with sand. I like the idea lots. :3

5. C

There are also many different color variations of RCS. Blue is pretty popular.

6. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Tank 1:

-Plants: any kind of moss or najas grass (easy and fast to grow)
    -Substrate: Anything from sand, gravel, dirt or bare bottom
    -Stock: you can start with 12 RCS
    -You don't necessarily have to rehome them, they are low bioload and will stop breeding when there are cramp conditions
    -Neocaridina shrimps come in all color morph so I would check around which one you want (Red, Blue, Orange, Yellow, Brown, White, patterned, etc....)

Tank 2:
    No comment because I like tank 1 idea.

7. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

LOL Cichlidnut insists you do a shrimp tank, eh? :p I kind of like the name "Nutso" ;)

You could also do half and half neos and caridinas, so you could have two different colors. I was going to do blue pearls and CRS so it would be a patriotic tank ;)

In my shrimp tank I had these plants: dwarf sag, banana plant, java fern, corkscrew val, hornwort, narrow-leaf anacharis, najas grass, and frogbit. I really liked the frogbit; it was fun to see them hang down from the roots :)

Personally I would not go with dirt. I had dirt wit a gravel cap, and it was to hard to keep clean. The bits of food they didn't eat would sink down into the gravel; I couldn't vacuum too thoroughly or I'd stir up the dirt, so some would escape my vacuumings and I ended up getting planaria. I got rid of it (thanks to meds from AP), but it was always a game of tug-of-war between feeding them enough, vacuuming what they didn't eat quickly enough, making sure I got it all, accidentally stirring up dirt, etc. Maybe it would be easier with a sand cap (I switched to that, but ended up tearing the tank down for different reasons). I think if you use root tabs then it would be fine. :)

For the other 5.5, there aren't a toooon of fish options, since there aren't many fish you can keep in a 5.5 gallon. I had a betta in one, and while I wouldn't go any smaller, I don't think it was too small. I had a betta in a 10 and he kept to the same corner most of the time anyway (though he wasn't the most active guy). I think you can keep an ADF in 5 gallons though, so if you didn't want to do a betta (my vote, of course) then maybe think about that. :)

8. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

I was thinking sand cap for sure. I'll likely just do some black sand and root tabs. :) I'm hoping the tank will be pretty self-sufficient cleaning wise. I've read shrimp are little scavengers and if they can find the food, they'll eat it. Hopefully the sand won't have the same issue as the gravel with the food getting caught down in it!

I got the day off work tomorrow so I'll go scope some stuff out! *excited*

I loooooooove froggies. :3 So cute! I was also thinking maybe White Cloud Mountain Minnows! I'd feel bad about there not being a lot of swimmy space. :(

Pondering...pondering...I still have time while the tanks cycle anyways. :)

Speaking of! For the shrimp tank + plants is a filter necessary? I plan on doing it pretty heavily planted.

9. ZeeZ

If you don't plan on going dirt cap, I'd put in a sponge filter just to be safe. They don't take up much space and can be hidden by the plants.

CPDs are great for 5Gs. You can do 2 females 1 male just fine in them or even up to 5 with 3 females and 2 males. Breeders do it all the time.

10. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

O.O Their fins are so cute! Why didn't I know about these fish?!

11. ZeeZ

They're the perfect nano fish, IMO. They don't mind cooler water or temperate water. They breed easily, but are harder to find.

As for their fins, yeah, they're awesome. They used to be called Galaxy Rasboras but they were mislabeled as they're actually danios.

12. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Yup, CPDs are awesome. I have a brilliant male whose color is striking but I can't seem to get a good shot of him. I have 3 in 74 F water. I plan on adding a RCS colony (from ZeeZ of course) later on. Another good option is the Dwarf Emerald Rasbora. Another danio that has been mislabeled as a rasbora. They're danio erythromicron. I wouldn't keep them with CPDs as they are so closely related, they could easily crossbreed.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  13. ZeeZ

Those are gorgeous and even harder to find than CPDs are. I've always wanted them. I love their blue stripes.

And of course you'll be getting your RCS from me. ;)

14. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Take a look here. Nice quality and cheap stock.   She also has Danio erythromicron. ;)

15. ZeeZ

Hush, you. Don't be tempting me at Christmas time. My family will never forgive you.

16. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

No matter what you have, I'd do at least a sponge filter. I made the one in my shrimp tank. I got a prefilter sponge and stuck an airstone with tubing inside. :)

17. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

I just checked my stand and I can take our 2 shelves and have room for 2 5.5's too..:eek:. My husband will not be impressed. I am going to put my 5.5 betta with mystery snail on one side and buy another. I like the idea of CDP's I saw them for the first time yesturday, she had 5 not sure how to sex them though...maybe i should buy them all? o dear now i am planning, it is all downhill from here.

18. C

He could always get Endlers and RCS from me ;D

19. ZeeZ

Your RCS came from my RCS. :;swls

20. C

That is incorrect. I have never bought any RCS from you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice