5.5 Gallon Tank Mates Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by babiimoore, Jun 23, 2018.

1. babiimoore

babiimooreWell Known MemberMember

i have no self control and i bought another boy today. it was love at first sight. and of course i got all the stuff for him. he’s very afraid of my phone so i cant really get a good picture but he’s a very beautiful pink/purple/red. his tank just looks so plain, i would like to put another fish in with him but i doubt i can. i know i could add a snail or some shrimp but i would love another small fish. any species that can go in a 5.5 gallon? IMG_0753.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. motherofbettas

motherofbettasValued MemberMember

Unfortunately no....he’s a beautiful betta though! Congrats on finding him!

3. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Another small fish would be shrimp or snails ;). Other than that no.

4. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Beautiful! I would go with snails or shrimp.
    There was this beautiful DHM at my PetSmart that I must go back and buy!

5. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Very pretty betta! I wouldn't do any other fish in a 5.5. Shrimp could possibly work out but would be risky as some bettas love to hunt them. Personally, I'd go with a Nerite snail. They come in many different colours and patterns, stay small, and can even help with algae.

6. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

i knew it was a long shot! ill look into a snail.

7. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

If your tank is well planted with places to hide, then go for some shrimp, if not the Nerite is a good suggestion :)

8. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

im worried about him /: very lethargic.. and sometimes he lays a bit sideways like the picture IMG_0774.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

it is getting worse. he now is always laying on his side, and i can tell he’s in pain/uncomfortable. i gave him a methylene blue bath in the cup he came in, put a couple grains of aquarium salt in as well. poor baby. any ideas? his only symptoms are being lethargic and laying on his side. he has somewhat of an appetite, i’ve gotten him to eat a couple times but not every time i’ve offered food.

10. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

unfortunately he passed, im so confused, i only had him a couple days.. ):

11. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for your lost.

Did you put him into an established cycled tank??

12. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

no but i have experience with cycling, his water was good. he was lethargic ever since i brought him home, he must’ve been sick with something. do i need to sanitize tank before getting a new betta?

13. Deku-Cory

Deku-CoryValued MemberMember

Considering you don't know what he died from, I'd definitely suggest cleaning. If you want to go hardcore, soak everything you can in water with some bleach, then rinse everything out and soak everything in conditioned water to remove any traces of bleach. If that seems like overkill, just give everything a good rinse. Once you get everything back together, now would be the perfect time to fully cycle the tank if you so choose.

14. Smalltownfishfriend

SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

I am sorry!! That's so disappointing!! Maybe he had something genetic wrong with him.. just a long shot!!

15. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

can a fish die from swim bladder? kinda seemed like what he had. i went back and got another boy, again, he looked very healthy in his cup, and then once i brought him home he lays sideways just like the last boy. is petco over feeding and giving them swim bladder? can anything else more serious cause swim bladder?

16. Deku-Cory

Deku-CoryValued MemberMember

Considering that they were both fine until you put them into the tank, then they showed the same symptoms, it’s most likely there’s something going on with your aquarium. I doubt it’s overfeeding. Most places underfeed Bettas to limit the amount of waste they create in those little cups. It may also be some illness they had that cropped up due to the stress of new surroundings. I can’t tell you exactly what’s wrong though, there’s simply too many variables.

17. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

i dumped it and did a rinse but maybe that wasn’t enough? i put him into a clean quarantine tank, hes still laying on his side.

18. Joey Bekius

Joey BekiusValued MemberMember

I find that when fish are dying their swim bladder fails

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice