5.5 gallon tank and growing Hemianthus callitrichoides.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by 7LoavesFewLittleFishes, Dec 8, 2012.

1. 7LoavesFewLittleFishesNew MemberMember

2. TheFishAddictValued MemberMember

If your not going to use co2, I would suggest dirting your tank. As for the plants, I would buy one, and see how it does, then go on to buy more if i really like it. But that's just me. Lets see what other members say!:D

3. OP
    OP

7LoavesFewLittleFishesNew MemberMember

or should I do dwarf hair grass instead? What would be better in a 5.5 gallon with no CO2?

4. TheFishAddictValued MemberMember

Both plants will carpet, both need rich substrate; but I believe dwarf baby tears needs igher lighting than required for dwarf hairgrass. So if you have high lighting, ethier one can work for you and ethier one will look gourgeous!:)

5. OP
    OP

I am thinking about the dwarf hairgrass....it looks a lot better than the baby tear..

6. OP
    OP

Ok then, I wonder how many of these I would need to cover a 5.5 gallon???

7. TheFishAddictValued MemberMember

If kept properly, it will produce many runners of the main plant. So if you give it time, you wont need to buy 10, you'll have grown ten:)

8. TheFishAddictValued MemberMember

I would highly reccommend dirting the tank, and capping it. There are many threads on here about that and how beneficial it is.

9. OP
    OP

Yeah I figured I would have to use dirt. I am thinking I am going to buy 2 dwarf hair plants and spread them out all over the tank.

10. TheFishAddictValued MemberMember

Sounds good!:) Can I ask what will be going in this tank?

11. OP
    OP

Most likely a male betta and some shrimps. Got my one betta in my 10 gallon and he is doing very good with the 8 neon tetras I have. If they continue to get along, I will get another betta for the 5.5 gal.

12. TheFishAddictValued MemberMember

Awesome! Just know that depending on your betta the shirmp could easily become a expensive snack!

13. OP
    OP

Yeah, maybe a nitrate snail or 2 then. We will see when it's done. I'm bidding on some dwarf hairgrass right now on ebay, hopefully I'll win it.

14. OP
    OP

[​IMG]

This is going in the 5.5 gallon, it's shipping out to me on Monday. :)

15. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Lol, it's a nerite snail not a nitrate snail. ;)

16. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

nitrate snail the new breed of snail that raises nitrates :D

17. OP
    OP

Oops, my bad, I am new to this. :p

18. TheFishAddictValued MemberMember

Sounds like that harigrass will cope well and look beautiful with the wood! Let us know how it all turns out! ;D

19. OP
    OP

Had to take my betta out of the 10 gallon, a few of the tetras were nipping him. Looks like he gets to call the 5.5 gallon home...

20. TheFishAddictValued MemberMember

Well, maybe it's not a new betta, but at least it goes along with your stock suggestion!:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice