5.5 Gallon Shrimp Tank!

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by HappiestCamper, Apr 12, 2017.

1. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper Well Known Member Member

We are starting up a 5.5 shrimp tank. We want both neocaridina and caridina.

We were told to use distilled water so that's what it's currently cycling with

Would love any opinions and tips!

2. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

4. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

I would look into getting some Marimo moss balls shrimps love them

5. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

Thanks for the suggestion! I plan to pull one from one of my other tanks along with duvkweed and potential some fissidens

6. kluggy

Have you remineralized the water? As distilled water has all chemicals and minerals removed.

7. TySabol

TySabol Valued Member Member

I'd pick up some shrimp tunnels if your trying to get them to breed. Their about 10 bucks and mine use them like crazy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

We were told the soil stuff does that but we should probably buy a bottle of that stuff to be safe!

Also I suppose I should buy one I just don't love the look of the tunnels all that much :/

9. kluggy

The soil adjusted he PH although the minerals in the water (TDS) needs to be tested and adjusted after each water change when using distilled/RO water, is suggest getting a TDS pen. depending on which shrimp you want you need to keep the tds between 100-200

10. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

I've never even heard of that but will look into it thank you!!

11. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

So I'm back with some questions, I've always added shrimp to well established tanks but... how do I do that if shrimp might be the only inhabitants?

Also what would maybe be good to add to this 5.5 with the shrimp? (I've already read the 5.5 inhabitants thread) I'm more looking for personal suggestions/ideas?

We are thinking red and blue for the shrimp colonies we just haven't decided exactly WHICH ones yet

12. kluggy

What sort of red and blue shrimp? As the odds are they will crossbreed and they end up a brown displeasing colour

13. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

In the first post i specified one colony if neocaridina and one of caridina. They don't interbreed but thanks.

Anyway for now were going with sky blue vevets and red crystal shrimp.

14. kluggy

Sorry that's my bad, should be a good looking combo :)

15. M

MaeKay Valued Member Member

What are your water parameters? I don't know much about distilled water or really shrimp for that matter, but I did learn that CRS (Caridina) need soft water that is acidic. Neos either need more alkaline and harder water or they simply tolerate it better. Can't remember which. But I recently learned we can't have CRS so we're sticking with neos. We wanted to do the exact same thing you were planning! But our pH is 8.2 and our KH is 11.

16. OP
    OP
    HappiestCamper

We're using the purchased RO water to avoid our higher ph for the crystals. We figured its feasible since its such a small tank!

My cherry neos already do great in the house water with a ph of 7.4

17. M

MaeKay Valued Member Member

Cool. I was just about to order CRS when I remembered to look at their requirements. That could have been a costly mistake!

18. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimp Valued Member Member

Don't do a five gallon. Fifteen would be better. The two shrimp aren't temperature compatible.

19. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I would respectfully disagree about the temperature, both (in general) do great anywhere in the low 70s range, though neos can live in extremes on both sides.

Old thread, but my two cents:

While it is possible to keep neocaridina and caridina together, caridina are more sensative. You'll need to get the water good for them and hope the neos also do well. Caridina like a lower ph, GH, and KH than neos. For a caridina shrimp that prefers neo conditions, try tiger shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice