5.5 gallon Salt Water tank (new corals)

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here's a few pics of my Saltwater tank, if you wish to see more detail about it you can check it out here It's not finished so far but you get what it will look like for now.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Re: 5.5 gallon Salt Water tank

It looks beautiful It will look even more beautiful with all the colorful saltwater fish!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

LOL, maybe one or two fish at the most, once I upgrade lighting and get corals it will look better.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

Yes, everything in its own time, I understand I do not rush with my tanks either.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Time will tell. Sorry, this should be in the Saltwater board, moved.

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Good job ! Looks great ! Your pico/nano tank is coming along nicely. Is it still cycling ?
Did you buy a test kit yet ?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Ya it's still cycling, been running for a couple days. Haven't decided if I want to add a thin layer of sand yet. Waiting for petsmart to put their marine master test kit on sale online then take it into the store and get the online price ;D or if that doesn't happen will wait and get one in April hopefully when I get a refractometer also, might wait a bit more and get lights then too so might be may if petsmart doesn't put them on sale, not spending 32$ on one when I can get them for 13-15$. Will probably get it tested a few times and look into adding a aestrea snail then go from there.

thanks for the compliments, I think it's a nano tank since isn't pico under 5 and this is slightly over 5

4-10-07

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Looks Great ! Lighting looks good too !
What are your plans for it now ?

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Your not gonna be able to put much of anything in though...fish wise..its 5 gallon...and plus the rock takes up a lot or room too...what would you be able to put in there?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

agsansoo said:
Looks Great ! Lighting looks good too !
What are your plans for it now ?
Thanks a lot, plans currently are to try and farm some star polyp and sell it to a large Saltwater store by me, though I'm not sure when I'm going to get it. Were going to be moving in a month or two probably and I'm not sure if it's ok to buy a coral before the move, were not moving far but I think the extra transition for it may not be the best so I may just wait, what do you think? Yup I do like the lighting a lot too, and I think the peppermint shrimp ate all my apstasia's I haven't decided yet if a cleaner shrimp will be too much, I really like them but I'm going to wait.

lolagurl said:
Your not gonna be able to put much of anything in though...fish wise..its 5 gallon...and plus the rock takes up a lot or room too...what would you be able to put in there?
Yup I knew that when I started, I haven't decided on a clown goby or a black molly yet if I'm going to get fish. The rock doesn't take up that much room, I have a lot of crevises and there's one rock in there that's really nice but you can't really see it, it has a lot of opening's in it that the shrimp has taken a liking too.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score

i didnt know you could put mollys in a salt water tank?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Yes, you just need to adjust them to Saltwater gradually

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score

You could also farm mushrooms too ! Very hardy. Easy to frag from what I've heard.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

YEs I might try some blue mushrooms though I think I'm going to wait a bit more and do some more research and buy some test kits, so I don't have any losses and I need the time to recoup some money.

Got some mushrooms

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Looking good!
Brianna

agsansoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Great looking mushrooms ... What kind are they ?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Thanks to both of you.

To answer your question agsansoo they are striped mushrooms. I don't know anymore than that. I was at a lfs that my friend works at and he's getting the owner to sell more Saltwater stuff and they had these in for 23$ which around here is a good deal for that many mushrooms and I really liked them compared to the other mushrooms I saw. I got them and there doing pretty good. I'm pretty sure they are the harmless kind since I guess there's a type of mushrooms that can be fairly aggressive. So far there doing good but don't know the scientific name for you, sorry. :-\

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score

just a question... how much money did you invest in the set-up? was it expensive? I wanted to set up a 10 gallon nano reef but was scared away by some stories of how expensive it can get.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

It's cost me maybe 300$ give or take. I also spent more money on coraline LR and 15lbs. of sand when I barely needed any. If you shop around and only buy bargains you could stay under 500$, if you wanted corals you might spend a little more, if you just want fish and inverts it might be even cheaper since you won't need the lights. I can walk you through prices if you want, just let me know.

JGoldinger

Reaction score

gmann21193 said:
just a question... how much money did you invest in the set-up? was it expensive? I wanted to set up a 10 gallon nano reef but was scared away by some stories of how expensive it can get.
You can buy a complete setup for cheaper then that. My mom just bought a 24 gallon aquapod set up for $200 i believe.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom