5.5 gallon Salt Water tank (new corals)

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Re: 5.5 gallon Salt Water tank

Yes, everything in its own time, I understand I do not rush with my tanks either.

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score

Good job ! Looks great ! Your pico/nano tank is coming along nicely. Is it still cycling ?
Did you buy a test kit yet ?

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Ya it's still cycling, been running for a couple days. Haven't decided if I want to add a thin layer of sand yet. Waiting for petsmart to put their marine master test kit on sale online then take it into the store and get the online price ;D or if that doesn't happen will wait and get one in April hopefully when I get a refractometer also, might wait a bit more and get lights then too so might be may if petsmart doesn't put them on sale, not spending 32$ on one when I can get them for 13-15$. Will probably get it tested a few times and look into adding a aestrea snail then go from there.

thanks for the compliments, I think it's a nano tank since isn't pico under 5 and this is slightly over 5

4-10-07

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score

Looks Great ! Lighting looks good too !
What are your plans for it now ?

lolagurl

Reaction score

Your not gonna be able to put much of anything in though...fish wise..its 5 gallon...and plus the rock takes up a lot or room too...what would you be able to put in there?

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

agsansoo said:
Looks Great ! Lighting looks good too !
What are your plans for it now ?
Thanks a lot, plans currently are to try and farm some star polyp and sell it to a large Saltwater store by me, though I'm not sure when I'm going to get it. Were going to be moving in a month or two probably and I'm not sure if it's ok to buy a coral before the move, were not moving far but I think the extra transition for it may not be the best so I may just wait, what do you think? Yup I do like the lighting a lot too, and I think the peppermint shrimp ate all my apstasia's I haven't decided yet if a cleaner shrimp will be too much, I really like them but I'm going to wait.

lolagurl said:
Your not gonna be able to put much of anything in though...fish wise..its 5 gallon...and plus the rock takes up a lot or room too...what would you be able to put in there?
Yup I knew that when I started, I haven't decided on a clown goby or a black molly yet if I'm going to get fish. The rock doesn't take up that much room, I have a lot of crevises and there's one rock in there that's really nice but you can't really see it, it has a lot of opening's in it that the shrimp has taken a liking too.

lolagurl

Reaction score

I didnt know you could put mollys in a salt water tank?

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score

You could also farm mushrooms too ! Very hardy. Easy to frag from what I've heard.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

YEs I might try some blue mushrooms though I think I'm going to wait a bit more and do some more research and buy some test kits, so I don't have any losses and I need the time to recoup some money.

Got some mushrooms

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score

Great looking mushrooms ... What kind are they ?

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Thanks to both of you.

To answer your question agsansoo they are striped mushrooms. I don't know anymore than that. I was at a lfs that my friend works at and he's getting the owner to sell more Saltwater stuff and they had these in for 23$ which around here is a good deal for that many mushrooms and I really liked them compared to the other mushrooms I saw. I got them and there doing pretty good. I'm pretty sure they are the harmless kind since I guess there's a type of mushrooms that can be fairly aggressive. So far there doing good but don't know the scientific name for you, sorry. :-\

gmann21193

Reaction score

just a question... how much money did you invest in the set-up? was it expensive? I wanted to set up a 10 gallon nano reef but was scared away by some stories of how expensive it can get.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

It's cost me maybe 300$ give or take. I also spent more money on coraline LR and 15lbs. of sand when I barely needed any. If you shop around and only buy bargains you could stay under 500$, if you wanted corals you might spend a little more, if you just want fish and inverts it might be even cheaper since you won't need the lights. I can walk you through prices if you want, just let me know.

JGoldinger

Reaction score

gmann21193 said:
just a question... how much money did you invest in the set-up? was it expensive? I wanted to set up a 10 gallon nano reef but was scared away by some stories of how expensive it can get.
You can buy a complete setup for cheaper then that. My mom just bought a 24 gallon aquapod set up for $200 I believe.

New Threads