5.5 Gallon Rescape? Help!

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi all,

My 5.5 gallon is my oldest tank but I'm NEVER happy with it. It's gone through so many looks (different plants, background, lighting, etc.) and nothing ever does well or looks nice. I'm constantly battling algae when trying to increase the lighting. Frankly, I'd be ready to scrap the thing if I didn't love the inhabitants to much (gorgeous betta & CPDs).

I've decided to rethink my whole process here. Maybe only use super low light and hardy plants since the tank never seems to balance out with more intense lighting.. Probably only java ferns and anubias.
Right now I've got water sprite, pennywort, and some very sad rotala. The only thing I like about the tank is the rock because it's shaped like Half Dome in Yosemite.

Any ideas? I attached a picture but it's a hot mess right now with some algae that I haven't cleaned. Turns out the filter got clogged a few days ago so I had a nice brown algae bloom. Maintenance day isn't until Saturday so it lives for now

Attachments

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a tank like that. I use it as a display case now, and moved the inhabitants to a different tank. Some setups just never gel.

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
maggie thecat said:
I had a tank like that. I use it as a display case now, and moved the inhabitants to a different tank. Some setups just never gel.
I would if I could get another *bigger* tank... but 3 tanks in a studio apt is already pushing it lol. It's either keep working on it or get rid of it

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it needs something with some height in the middle. A piece of gnarled driftwood or a stone bridge or the like. A statement piece. From there, build around it with the plants and smaller hardscape elements.

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
maggie thecat said:
I think it needs something with some height in the middle. A piece of gnarled driftwood or a stone bridge or the like. A statement piece. From there, build around it with the plants and smaller hardscape elements.
Yes, I think so too... I'm thinking now to completely change it... Put some sand and soil in there with river rocks and spider wood. We'll see how it goes. I'm probably going to build the hardscape today then add plants in when they arrive from BucePlant.com

I'll keep this thread as a little journal on the progress

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What a day this turned out to be... I decided to reboot the entire tank so I some places to get some rock, sand, and spider wood. While I was cleaning the old gravel out of my tank I accidentally cracked it against a rock and it broke!
At this point I had all my fish in a bucket so I stuck the filter and heater in there because I was in it for the long haul at this point.
I ended up grabbing a 10 gallon from PetCo since it was only a dollar more than the 5.5 gallon. Nice upgrade for the fish!

The hardscape is finished and I just added a little bit of vallisneria. I've got a bunch of Buce, Anubias, and Monte Carlo coming in the mail soon so I'm excited to get this thing planted and finished

Sorry for the foggy pics... The sand was difficult to rinse out

Bucket fish lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom