5.5 Gallon Quarantine Tank For Mbuna?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Pokerchip28, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Pokerchip28

Pokerchip28Valued MemberMember

Hello all! Please bear with me as I discuss my situation here. I'm 13 and I own a 90 gallon African Cichlid tank. One of my cichlids has HITH because of my nitrates which are getting out of control. I just recently put in Matrix to reduce nitrates and I'm monitoring my chemistry as of right now, so I'm trying to fix the nitrate problem. My brother, has a 10 gallon aquarium with nothing in it but plants, which was supposed to be a quarantine tank, but he decided to put fertilizer in it and go crazy with the plants, he won't let me use it. I have an empty 20 gallon aquarium that I can fill and use as a quarantine tank, but my mother won't let me, for a reason that I do not know, and I have a 5.5 gallon aquarium which my mother told me is my only option to use... My brother won't let me use the 10 gallon, can't use the 20 gallon, parents won't let me buy a new 10 gallon quarantine tank. What should I do? The HITH is getting worse and worse, and it's starting to spread all over her. Also please consider that she is fully grown, and she's about 5 inches long. If I just simply can't put her in the 5.5 gallon, which I'm pretty sure I can't, can someone please provide me with some insight to explain that I need to use a bigger tank than a 5.5 gallon? Thank you all so much! One more thing, once she goes into a quarantine tank, I will begin treating her with API's General Cure. Thank you all again!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. AWheeler

AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Could you ask if there is a storage bin that isn't being used that you could treat her in? Explain that you need something bigger to treat her in because she is so big.

The best way to reduce nitrates is to do water changes. How high are yours?

3. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

At least 160 ppm at this point, also, I've already stressed that she is too big, they just say to look at her and the size of the tank... and then they say she'll be fine. They are new to the fish hobby so...

4. AWheeler

yeah, you need to do water changes, lots of small ones at first! I understand, I'd ask about an unused bucket that hasn't seen chemicals, or a storage tote, something bigger than the 5.5 gal tank. I'm a parent, i know how stubborn we can be about things, especially if we don't know any better!

5. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

Alright, no storage bins or anything.

6. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

You could always sneak it in when your brother's not looking! Haha, just kidding. I'd have your parents read over the thread, I'm sure they'd help you out.

7. AWheeler

I'm tempted to tell you to treat her in the main tank, but you need to get those nitrates down with some major water changes first...what kind of mbuna is she?

I agree with having the parents read over the thread part of it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

Oh sorry for not seeing these replies, she's a Bumblebee Cichlid :p aka Pseudotropheus crabro, and yeah I'll probably just let them read the thread.

9. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I know how it feels, kid. My parents were pretty ignorant to my hobby for a LONG time. Started (trying) to do tanks at 6 or 7 with little to no help. Took until I was 16 to get a tank as big as my 20 gallon, which is still my biggest. As soon as I got the 20, my mom fell in love with fish and helped with the tank until I moved out. Still calls EVERY DAYto see how this guppy she picked out is doing. They'll either learn to love it or accept it at some point, just be patient with them.

10. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

Alright, thank you all! I will try my best to convince!

11. AWheeler

Yeah, a cichlid that size needs a bigger tank to be medicated in she could actually go nuts and kill herself trying to swim around with no room :(

Let your parents read this and hopefully they will understand she simply needs a bigger tank to be treated in.

12. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

Ok thanks again! I will keep you all updated!

13. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

How often are you doing water changes now, and how much are you changing? HITH seems to be caused by poor water quality, and your nitrates are way too high.

As mentioned, do a few small changes to bring nitrates down slowly - you can shock fish by reducing nitrates to fast. Once you get nitrates around 60-80, do large water changes at least weekly to keep them down below 40 ppm (with below 20 ppm even better!).

Do you have nitrates in your tap? If not, do water changes. You don't need matrix with regular maintenance.

14. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

This same problem has occurred in my 90 gallon since I bought these fish from someone who kept them in a 36 gallon tank. I did 50% water changes day to day and I never got them below 40 ppm. I will do a water change this weekend.

15. TexasDomer

Can you test your tap for nitrates? If you don't have any nitrates in your tap, then you can get your nitrates below 40 ppm. Unless your tank is ridiculously overstocked, which it shouldn't be anyway.

16. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

Ok I'll check

Ok she's done with the treating period but it doesn't look any better. Should I poor a couple extra packets in and treat for 2 more days, or should I do a 25% water change, and put in AC?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  17. TexasDomer

What are your nitrates? Have you been working on water quality?

18. OP
    OP
    Pokerchip28

Yes, I have, I feel like I'm the only one having to deal with this. My nitrates are immeasurable, past 160 ppm. I'm doing a water change today, but the problem is that I don't know what's causing this, literally I have 20 fish in here, 4 of which are babies, 2 are juveniles, 6 electric yellows, 1 tropheus, 1 bumblebee cichlid, 1 male Livingstonii, 1 Eupterus catfish, 2 convicts, some pink cichlid which I don't know what it is, and a parrot cichlid. Am I over stocked? They are in a 90 gallon. I decided to put matrix in my filter, just waiting now for it to kick in and see if it can help my nitrates.

19. AWheeler

There has been more than one person on here with very high nitrates...the thing to do is small water changes, every day to get it down slow enough to not cause the fish excess stress. Did you end up medicating in the main tank, if you did what did the medication say about water changes..how many water changes have you done in the last 10 days...have you tested your tap for nitrates?

20. TexasDomer