5.5 Gallon Journal - Page 3

Nikita

Here's the picture!

removed

Nikita

**update 1/14/14**

I believe that I am pretty much cycled! Came home and tested and got the following results: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and from the looks of it 5 nitrates. Since the nitrates are hard to tell, I'm going to wait until tomorrow to test again to make sure it's completely cycled before doing a water change (as recommended).

Very pleased it cycled faster than I expected. So is my betta boy! He's made a bubble nest once again. The only thing I've had problems with is feeding him. He hasn't eaten since I bought him. It's like he ignores the food. Thinking about going out and buying frozen bloodworms and seeing if he'll eat those.

I may keep the light off tomorrow, or only turn it on for so long as the tank has gotten OVER 12+ hours of lighting (I went to a basketball game after work).

Excited!

jman1983

My fingers are crossed for ya!

FishTank Maniacz

Good luck! Nice to see it cycled!

peacemaker92

Aw no. I hope your betta boy eats soon. Keep us posted.

Nikita

**Update 1/15/14 Pt. 1**

Just to make sure again, I tested this morning. I got the same results as last nice: 0, 0, 5. I plan on coming home, testing once more to make sure, and if the parameters are still showing what they are now, I will do a water change and call this tank cycled!

I can't wait to see what happens with this tank. I'm ready for the plants to get even fuller than what they are now. Everything is growing great! I planning on adding tank-mates after a few weeks. Current plans are microfish (I will have a back-up plan if my betta isn't fish friendly). After a while I hope to get the 10G up, make it an invert tank and take shrimp from it and (hopefully) successfully add them to the 5.5G.

I'll do another update for today at the end of day after church!

jman1983

Congrats !!!!!

wondersme

As a member I'm new to this forum and as a reader I am very old. Just stumbled upon your Journal

He looks lovely and congrats for your new tank. :;gift

atc84

My betta in my 10 didn't eat for a week. If he still hasn't eaten don't feed him for a couple days so that next time you feed him he will really be hungry. Or you can wait for him to go near the surface and try to catch his attention with food.

ricmcc

An unexpected, and free! tank and equipment are a rarely surpassed pleasure. You had mentioned some minor scratches, which would not bother me, but should they bug you at all, they are quite easily mended with jewelers paste and elbow grease, as you likely know.
Tank looks great, enjoy.----rick

Nikita

**Update 1/15/14 Pt.2**

Came home today to the same test results! I've seen that a water change is usually recommended right after the tank cycles as the nitrates tend to go up, but mine haven't. So is it okay I wait until Saturday to start my regular weekly water changes? Or should I go ahead and do one now, then one on Saturday to start the weekly routine.

Thank you all for the compliments! This tank makes me really happy.

@atc84 - I managed to feed him today. Turns out you just have to get his attention for him to eat. I put my syringe in the tank and he noticed it, so I took the opportunity to put a pellet in and he ate it. Thank you for the suggestions, though!

@ricmcc - They aren't that annoying, mainly at the bottom of the tank where the gravel covers it some. Some minor ones here and there, but since it doesn't bother viewing the tank itself so I'm not worried about it!

Nikita

**Update 1/1614**

I'm just going to wait until saturday to do my water change, start them there. I've been trying to decide a name for my betta boy. I'm currently a cross roads between Ollie and Quinton. I'm leaning more towards Ollie but I'm wondering other peoples opinions! Suggestions for names are appreciated, too. Something unique please!

Checked the water parameters and they are 0, 0, 5. Glad this tank is finally cycled. I can now update my aquarium info Plants are looking great! I have some Bacopa about to touch the top of the water (I'm hoping some emerge and grow flowers like I've seen before). Java Fern are growing new little leaves. I'll need to rebury my Lace Java Fern, it came up a little after my last water change (accidentally hit it with tube). Crypts are... I'm not sure. I wasn't able to turn the tank light on for a total of almost 16 hours and after that incident they have green and clear, melting leaves. Hope they are okay! Anubias is okay too. I want to add some Guppy Grass, Hornwort, and/or Frogbit to the tank, I think it would a nice addition.

Nikita

**Update 1/18/14**

Everything is going great! Ollie is doing great, happy as ever and eating well! I plan on buying some frozen bloodworms soon. I'm sure he'd appreciate that Did a 25% water change today and turned down my heater (was around 83). I've not sure how far I turned it down as the dial doesn't show temp, but hopefully somewhere around 74 - 78 (I plan on possibly adding some microfish and/or inverts to the tank in the future). Water parameters as of today:

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

I plan on updating this weekly and whenever an event/problem occurs from now as doing it every day could be pretty boring No new pics this week, but I'll be sure to get some up next week.

Nikita

**Update 1/25/14**

Tank is still doing great as ever! Some of the Bacopa has almost reached the top of the tank! I'll have to do some trimming after a while. Did my weekly water change today (50%).

I also went to the pet store and picked up some Ghost Shrimp, Java Moss, and Anacharis. Acclimated the 15 - 20 Ghost Shrimp within an hour using the drip method. They are doing great! Ollie has no interest in them whatsoever. He went up to one at one point but quickly scurried away once he saw it move (lol). I laid the Java Moss at the bottom of the aquarium (weighted with some gravel) to provide some more cover for the shrimp. The guy at the pet store tried to argue with me that the piece of anacharis in the tank was fake. I was like, "Look, I know if it's real or not, just get me the piece." and once he did get it he was like, "whatdaya know it is real!" Duh. *snaps fingers* The little piece is attached to the heater, floating so that it won't move around from the current.

Pictures in a bit!

Nikita

**Update 1/26/14**

Ghost Shrimp are looking great! Found two dead this morning. I assumed they weren't going to make it due to the sluggishness and milky color throughout their body. Ollie isn't messing with the Shrimp, but I can tell he doesn't like them. Possibly once my 10G is up I can separate them.

jman1983

**Update 1/26/14**

Ghost Shrimp are looking great! Found two dead this morning. I assumed they weren't going to make it due to the sluggishness and milky color throughout their body. Ollie isn't messing with the Shrimp, but I can tell he doesn't like them. Possibly once my 10G is up I can separate them.

Not all shrimp will make the transition to their new home. I had bought 10 about a week and a half ago and had two right off the bat go down.

Problem with most pet stores is ghosts shrimp are used more as feeders and they aren't taken care of as well as they should. Now like I said (most) not all pet stores.

My closest and only pet store I have to me is petsmart. Every time I go in there they have about half of their batch of shrimp dead...

I have my shrimp in my 29 bow front with a dwarf gourami and 8 black skirt tetras a glow tetra and a few neons. I have been told to watch the skirted tetras but I haven't seen any aggression from them towards the shrimp.

They should be fine as long as they have hiding spots. The 8 I have left are doing very well.

Nikita

Not all shrimp will make the transition to their new home. I had bought 10 about a week and a half ago and had two right off the bat go down.

Problem with most pet stores is ghosts shrimp are used more as feeders and they aren't taken care of as well as they should. Now like I said (most) not all pet stores.

My closest and only pet store I have to me is petsmart. Every time I go in there they have about half of their batch of shrimp dead...

I have my shrimp in my 29 bow front with a dwarf gourami and 8 black skirt tetras a glow tetra and a few neons. I have been told to watch the skirted tetras but I haven't seen any aggression from them towards the shrimp.

They should be fine as long as they have hiding spots. The 8 I have left are doing very well.

Assumed so. Too, I've heard that when being shipped to stores they aren't handled well. I expect a few more die withing the next coming days (still a few with a milky color, sluggishness), but I hope that most survive. I'm REALLY hoping that I have some females (I can't tell their sex). As of right now I counted 14 in the aquarium.

jman1983

Assumed so. Too, I've heard that when being shipped to stores they aren't handled well. I expect a few more die withing the next coming days (still a few with a milky color, sluggishness), but I hope that most survive. I'm REALLY hoping that I have some females (I can't tell their sex). As of right now I counted 14 in the aquarium.

From my experience females have the orange/yellow spots on their tails. The females are larger and have more of a arch to the body. Males are smaller and shorter bodied and as I have read do not have the colored spots on their tails

I have not found any males in my local pet store. I have been on the look out for a few males myself.

I have had a few shrimp that I have gotten that were milky looking and sluggish but they have came back from it. Just keep good clean water and good parameters and they will bounce back just fine.

Nikita

From my experience females have the orange/yellow spots on their tails. The females are larger and have more of a arch to the body. Males are smaller and shorter bodied and as I have read do not have the colored spots on their tails

I have not found any males in my local pet store. I have been on the look out for a few males myself.

I have had a few shrimp that I have gotten that were milky looking and sluggish but they have came back from it. Just keep good clean water and good parameters and they will bounce back just fine.

After reading your post I went to go look at my shrimp. It looks like I have quite a few females, but I can't say for sure. Oh, and I have one more casualty. It's carcase was half devoured by the other shrimp.

jman1983

After reading your post I went to go look at my shrimp. It looks like I have quite a few females, but I can't say for sure. Oh, and I have one more casualty. It's carcase was half devoured by the other shrimp.

Another thing to remember, not knowing if you have had shrimp before, they will a lot of times molt after a change in water parameters, for example taking them from the pet store to you tank.

I thought I had a dead one the first time my shrimp molted but it was just the shell. And leave it in the tank if it is just the shell cause after molting they require that additional protein and nutrients that is in the old shell to help build their new one.

They are pretty cool creatures to watch.

Nikita

I've had RCS before so I've seen molting, but I could tell this was an actually shrimp
I love shrimp, that's why I plan on making my 10G into a invert tank.

jman1983

I've had RCS before so I've seen molting, but I could tell this was an actually shrimp
I love shrimp, that's why I plan on making my 10G into a invert tank.

Very cool and good luck!!

Nikita

**Update 1/27/14**

2 more casualties today! Woke up to one dead this morning and the shrimp were munching on it. Came home today to find cannibalism! I witnessed one shrimp catch the other and start munching on it's eyes! I used a net to separate the two, but another one caught it! Those devils. No matter what I tried it kept getting caught and was eaten alive The betta helped eat some, too. I don't believe this attack was due to starvation as they had a great meal of an algae wafer some bloodworms that got past Ollie.

I hope the others survive!

atc84

that's too bad. Good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
supergecko
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies