5.5 Gallon For African Dwarf Frog?

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by LGV, Aug 11, 2019.

1. LGV

LGVNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right place or need to start a new thread. A week ago we purchased a 5.5 gallon tank at Pet Smart. My child wanted some mini Glofish and Cory Catfish. The girl told us we could get 3 and 2 respectively and they would be fine. As we started the fishless tank cycle I started to read up and found a 5.5 tank to be completely inappropriate for those fish since they are schooling and you need more. They I started looking at what would be appropriate. African Dwarf frogs seem to fit the bill and my daughter loved the idea. We had bought the smaller heater they make and the water has stayed right at 80 for a week. Consistent yes but is 80 to warm? Also I read they like hard water but our is soft. What can I do to make the water hard. Right now our tank has .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates, the ph is 7. Does that mean the cycle is close to being complete. How will I know it’s safe to purchase the frogs. Also how do I check frogs for that fungus I keep reading about. The girl at pet smart said theirs come from certain breeder and they wouldn’t have but seeing as how they recommended a 5.5 gallon tank for the fish I’m not sure what to believe. Thanks for any help.

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Don't believe her and call her a moron whenever possible is how I treat the ones that give me bad information. Let them know they don't have a clue what they are talking about and to do some research.(maybe don't do that but I'm mean)
    The tank is fine for an ADF, could probably do 2 or 3 in it if you keep up with water changes. I keep mine with rams at a little over 80 and they seem to do great.
    I dosed mine with a low amount of H2O2 before adding them to my tank to kill off any external baddies, but go for ones moving around on the bottom of the tank and don't buy if you see dead ones in the tank.
    That means the cycle hasn't even started, how long has it been set up and have you been adding fish food or ammonia to feed the cycle?

3. Elkwatcher

ElkwatcherWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +769
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  4. OP
    OP
    LGV

LGVNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    It’s
    it’s been 3 weeks but they didn’t tell me about adding food. I just did that today after reading more info about tank cycling. Thank you for the info!

Is this gravel large enough? When we started for fish this is what we bought. I have since added more appropriate decor, more plants to hide in and foam sleeve to help reduce flow of filter. Since I just added food today (I wasn’t sure how much) when should I check water again? My daughter is learning that patience is a virtue but has already come up with their names. We anxiously await the arrival of Lilly and Webb’s . Also still haven’t gotten much help from any of the three stores I visited about increases the hardness of the water. 3E34FDB8-8474-4A9D-AFED-9269A5AAD72A.

5. Kjeldsen

KjeldsenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +227
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome. With a pH of 7 you may not need to make any adjustments, but if your water is processed by a salt based softener you'd be better off using an outdoor faucet and letting it sit in room temp for a while. 80* degrees is fine.

If you've just started "feeding" the tank, it will take about 1 month to fully cycle and be ready for the frogs. But they're so worth it!

6. LittleBlueGuppy

LittleBlueGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +434
    Experience:
    1 year
    If you want to speed up your cycle a little bit (it may still take a couple weeks, but better then a full month or so) you could add a bacterial supplement (like tetra safe start or seachem stability or something of the sort). 80° is perfect for them. I hope all goes well!

Btw, your tank looks really nice.

7. OP
    OP
    LGV

LGVNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok so I bought Dr. Tim’s ammonia and bacteria. I did that for a week and finally got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. I decided not to go to chain pet store but made a long drive to a local fish store. Their frogs looked way healthier and folks seemed way more knowledgeable. Bought two frogs. Within about 6 hours one was dead. It was bright red underneath. My children and I are heartbroken. Now my tank keeps showing ammonia levels and zero nitrite, nitrate so did something happen to mess up the cycle. Now I’m scared to death the other frog is going to die. I’m so paranoid that I check the water with api master test 3 times a day. I’m doing 50% water changes every day to keep it at under .5. Also using prime. My children are already attached to Lilly. She seems to love the tank. I don’t know if I should take her back to the store. Help?

8. Kjeldsen

KjeldsenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +227
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In an experiment it took me 21 days to cycle a ten gallon with Dr. Tim's, so I think those products can be unreliable. Sorry to hear about the death. ADFs are normally hardy and undemanding except in this one area. Their porous skin can make even low-level ammonia lethal, so a well-established biofilter is a must. Even if the product had cycled the tank in a few days it's still going to be immature and not necessarily stable for a while. Smaller tanks are actually more difficult to cycle and the volume of water is less forgiving, which doesn't help.

But now you're in a pickle. The tank isn't cycled, and the remaining frog will need constant water changes which may slow down the process. I would either return the frog or move him to a temporary container with fresh water while you finish cycling with ammonia. After a few days with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some NitrAte reading, you should be good to go for a couple of frogs.

9. OP
    OP
    LGV

LGVNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    It’s been a week and Lilly is doing great but I am having to do water changes everyday. She eats 5-7 pellets every morning from a food dish and seems very playful and healthy. I ended up getting a bio media filter from a neighbor with an established 10 gallon tank. It was to big to fit into my hangover filter so I took some from the bag and put in the gravel until the bag fit in my filter. Will this help cycle the tank? That was Thursday and it’s Monday and sill no change in my water parameters. I was doing 50% water changes at first until I figured out my tap water is .5ppm and was probably over changing. I went and spent bucks to get aquarium water from the pet store ($14 for every 2.3 gallons ) so I sure I hope it cycles soon so hopefully the cycled tank could take care of the ammonia and I would only be paying for conditioner.

Also she seems hungry all the time. After I get this tank cycled I plan on incorporating brine shrimp and bloodworms but for now just doing pellets. Is 5-7 a day enough?

10. OP
    OP
    LGV

LGVNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    So when do I know if my tank has fully cycled? These are water parameters from today.

Attached Files:

Become a Fishlore Member