5.5 Gallon Community Tank (need Some Help On The Possible Decor Choices)

Quartz safe for aquariums?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-Serenity-

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently planning to relocate my 5.5 gallon community life to a 10 gallon to renovate and change up the layout of their existing 5.5 gallon tank.
Filter: Sponge rated for 20 gallon tank
Additional filter: Tetra Whisperer (really old and currently not cycling. Was original filter until I got RCS. Left in tank for the beneficial bacteria colonies the sponge filter currently lacks)
Community life :
RCS x2? (Almost never see them so could be 3 still)
Neon tetras x6
Guppies (Adult) x2
Baby guppies x4
(Pest Snails)
------------------
Vase connected by air-tube to main tank contains...
Baby guppies x8
(Pest Snails)
Real live plants only used in this tank. I have the names somewhere...

So on to the actual decor...
I want to add some type of base ground fertilizer for the plants. (No idea what people normally use.)
Using Black Sand to make fish and RCS Pop
Planing on using feldspar rocks with quartz veins in them to create a few caves and or tunnels for RCS
Plan on scattering Clear quartz crystals with points up around the aquarium to give it a crystal cove feeling.
Also some colored red and blue glass marbles in the caves entrances and deep within. (Algae can grow there in case the RCS need something to eat with out leaving the safety of their cave)

Sorry for the longish post here but my main concern is the quartz long term submersion effect on the water chemistry.
SiO2 on H2O with added calcium for shrimps + Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.
Any suggestions or experience with keeping quartz in fish tank would help thank you

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello,

I'm currently planning to relocate my 5.5 gallon community life to a 10 gallon to renovate and change up the layout of their existing 5.5 gallon tank.
Filter: Sponge rated for 20 gallon tank
Additional filter: Tetra Whisperer (really old and currently not cycling. Was original filter until I got RCS. Left in tank for the beneficial bacteria colonies the sponge filter currently lacks)
Community life :
RCS x2? (Almost never see them so could be 3 still)
Neon tetras x6
Guppies (Adult) x2
Baby guppies x4
(Pest Snails)
------------------
Vase connected by air-tube to main tank contains...
Baby guppies x8
(Pest Snails)
Real live plants only used in this tank. I have the names somewhere...

So on to the actual decor...
I want to add some type of base ground fertilizer for the plants. (No idea what people normally use.)
Using Black Sand to make fish and RCS Pop
Planing on using feldspar rocks with quartz veins in them to create a few caves and or tunnels for RCS
Plan on scattering Clear quartz crystals with points up around the aquarium to give it a crystal cove feeling.
Also some colored red and blue glass marbles in the caves entrances and deep within. (Algae can grow there in case the RCS need something to eat with out leaving the safety of their cave)

Sorry for the longish post here but my main concern is the quartz long term submersion effect on the water chemistry.
SiO2 on H2O with added calcium for shrimps + Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.
Any suggestions or experience with keeping quartz in fish tank would help thank you
Quartz should be fine I have kept a very large piece in my tank. But it sounds like you are very over stocked even for a 10 gallon. I don't even have that much in my 55 gallon but I will let others comment on that.

-Serenity-

Reaction score
My tank stocking level is at 146%
However I have monitored the tanks chemistry and ph changes weekly and there haven't been a significant change week to week.

It is 5.5 gallons btw. The temporary tank I have for them will be 10 gallons until the re-decor of the 5.5 gallon is complete.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Seems a little overstocked for a 10gallon let alone a 5gallon! Id keep like 5guppys in a 5gallon and thats it.

kim&marc

Reaction score
I think your stocking is fine, especially with live plants. I have had the best success with eco-complete mixed with stratum. If it's only a 10 gal, go with eco-complete as the stratum will lower your PH and 1 bag of eco will be plenty.
Also it comes in black & is great for growing live plants, good luck you should post some pics when your done!

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think your stocking is fine, especially with live plants. I have had the best success with eco-complete mixed with stratum. If it's only a 10 gal, go with eco-complete as the stratum will lower your PH and 1 bag of eco will be plenty.
Also it comes in black & is great for growing live plants, good luck you should post some pics when your done!
15 fish plus snails in a 5.5 gallon is well overstocked. The 10 gallon is temporary until the op gets the 5.5 scaped. If it were me I would keep them in the 10 and plant it till I couldn't fit anymore in, only then it would be fine. It puts a lot of stress on the fish not to mention the potential for outrageous ammonia spikes to have so many in a small space.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont believe the OP was asking if their stocking is ok.

Quartz is fine in your tank.

-Serenity-

Reaction score
There are only 8 adult fish. 3 juvenile guppies. 2-3 shrimp and pest snails. Stocking isn't the problem or the question. It was about material used in the tank and fertilizer for plants.

-Serenity-

Reaction score
As the OP says... (aka me)
My tank stocking level is at 146%
However I have monitored the tanks chemistry and ph changes weekly and there haven't been a significant change week to week.

It is 5.5 gallons btw. The temporary tank I have for them will be 10 gallons until the re-decor of the 5.5 gallon is complete.
Already know the tanks stocking level.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I dont believe the OP was asking if their stocking is ok.

Quartz is fine in your tank.
Just informing that's all. The question was also answered in my first post. If we can give as much information as possible here we would eliminate all the unexpected fish deaths. If you go to a fish store and it's a good one they don't just give you fish without fist giving information about the fish itself and stocking.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Point being lets not cause a fish fight here and we helped solved their question. Lets leave it at that unless they have another question or something is dangering the fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom