5.5 Gallon Cheap Background Idea

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by newbettagus, Aug 18, 2019.

1. newbettagus

newbettagusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    Just started
    I've just set up my first tank--5.5 gallons--and I didn't like any of the backgrounds I saw for sale. So I went to a big discount store and got a cheap, thin plastic table placemat with a leafy design and colors I liked. It was easy to trim and just took a couple of small pieces of tape to set in place.

It looks--okay. It's not very aquatic, but it's okay. And now I can keep watching for something better, which is always a pleasure.

2. Nanissa

NanissaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    That's a great idea for a small tank! I recently switched to a black background from a proper pet store background ,using black poster board from a proper . I wanted a change. I dont know why my petsmart carries only 2 backgrounds. Anyways like the black for now.

3. OP
    OP
    newbettagus

newbettagusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    Just started
    I've read that some of the competitive types of fish see too much of their reflection with a black background and spend a lot of time upset at that other fish hanging around too close.

Just throwing that out there, nothing to do with you.

4. Nanissa

NanissaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    That can definitely be true. I dont have that problem with my fish. My fish are too busy. . In fact i find the reflection is less than without it and same in some parts as when i had the other background and that was a cave with blue sea. I find black background to be a very popular backgr..not really my fave but it goes very nice with my planted tank. Nice contrast...lush green and black. I .