5.5 gal. Empty... what to do..?

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by fallonrhea, Jul 10, 2015.

1. f

fallonrhea Valued Member Member

Is there any kind of cool pet I could own in a 5.5 gallon tank besides fish? It can hold water and I am ready to start setting up!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I think you could do an ADF or two. :)

3. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    f

I have 3 in my betta tank. I would prefer a semi aquatic pet. Or an axolotl. But I think the tank is to small for one. :/

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, axolotls need at least a 20g long. Also, might be a good time to get at least two of the ADFs out of the betta tank, as ADFs do best in species-only tanks. As for other semi-aquatic pets, I've heard of some types of crabs that need to have a land area, but I don't know what size tank they need.

6. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

There are always shrimp.

7. OP
    OP
    f

They've been in with my betta for a while now. They all seem to enjoy their home. I built it to fit both of their needs. Plenty of hiding spaces and an area of land that is closer to the surface for the frogs. Wood for my betta to swim through and my frogs to lay on. Java moss everywhere for burrowing and my bettas nighty time. My betta loves watching his frogs swim around acting like weirdos.

I was thinking of putting some shrimp in with them to help algea control. I also have bn pleco in there.

8. F

Fishfinatic Valued Member Member

I think you could do a red clawed crab, but I'm not sure, don't hold me to that.

They need a half land half saltwater setup from what I know, and a heater + filter.

9. OP
    OP
    f

Ehhh.. Crabs freak me out haha. I'm allergic to spiders so I want to stay away from scorpions and tarantulas. Can't have a snake of any kind. I kind of want a lizard. Are there any that stay fairly small.?

10. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Anoles aren't all that big although a 5 gallon is probably not big enough.

11. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

ADF's dont need land area. They are fully aquatic frogs. By providing a land area space in the tank you are providing less water.. The only way this would be okay is if its a tall tank, as ADF's dont like tall tanks. 10-12 inches of water is okay for them.

12. OP
    OP
    f

"An area of land that is closer to the surface." Meaning I raised the land underwater so they have a shallower area. There is a shallow end and a deep end. I did my research before buying them.

13. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Sorry, I interpreted "area of land closer to the surface" to mean land (out of water) closer to the top of the tank. Wasnt trying to be rude, disrespectful, or condescending; just helping.

14. OP
    OP
    f

It's fine, I just was so confused when I read your comment. I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first.

15. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

I would actually go as far as to say axolotles need more than 20g and it would be good to get more than one.. but I guess its a matter of opinion..

I had axolotl for many years, but sadly had to give them away to my x gf when we moved away from eachother.. but my opinion is that do better in more space.

As for what the op should get is hard, since he does not want any fish (the obvious choice for that g tank was a betta)

I wonder if there is any tiny frogs that could go there. other than that shrimps..

16. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Small newt?

17. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I vote shrimp :D

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

18. FishDreamer

FishDreamer Valued Member Member

You could do a hermit crab or a firebellied toad. A salamander would be cool too. Or a snail farm! I had one a few years ago with giant snails and their babies..it's weird but it was fun to watch them slime around the room!

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice