5.2 Gallon Algae Cleaner Ideas

1. Princethepurplebetta

Princethepurplebetta Valued Member Member

Hey guys! I got a 5.2 gallon tank for my betta, i have a snail in there to help with algae. But he will not clean it at all. Is there anything i can put into the tank to help clean the algae?
    The betta was previously owned and kept in a 1 gallon with 3 female guppies, he is not aggressive.

2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

What kind of snail is he?

Mystery snails don't really eat much algae in my (limited) experience, they're better at picking up left over food on the floor and stuff than algae eating.

3. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

Its a stripe nerite snail

4. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Its easier to adjust the lighting instead of dropping more bioload in a 5 gallon. Dial back the lighting and clean it manually with a sponge. Way easier.

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

If you're getting algae, it's too much light. If the tank is by a window, or in a well lit room, consider moving it. Also, you should have the tank lamp on for no more than 8 hours a day. If you don't have plants, adding plants will help, because plants will compete with algae for the same nutrients.

6. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

A ghost shrimp or two would do great. They are algae eating machines and coexist with male and female Betta’s all the time. They are usually under 75 cents most of the time. I’ve never had one personally but I’ve heard good things about them.
    Good Luck!!

7. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

How many hours a day do you have the lights on? Can we see a picture of the algae? What are the nitrate levels? I'm assuming there are no ammonia and nitrites. Nerite snails should work. Perhaps there's too much algae for that little guy to keep up with. You have plenty of room for two more.

8. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

You would be a better cleaner than a snail!

9. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Agreed with above. Algae pads are great. Just use them once a week during water changes.

10. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Valued Member Member

Snail should be just fine. Cut back on lighting as said above or just scrub algae off every now and then. If you have live plants I normally take a piece of paper towel and wipe the algae off.

11. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

I leave the light on for about 7.5 hours. Not near a window, and i have 4 amazon sword plants in it.

12. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

A sponge