5/1/2 gallon all glass tank with azoo power filter 16 gph ?

misfit
hello everyone I am new here I just bought a 5/1/2 gallon all glass tank also I have a power filter called azoo its 16gph I wanted to know would this filter be good for this size tank if not should I add two of theses filters to the tank thank you all

bhcaaron
Usually the recommended rate is three times the tank size per hour. At 16gph you're not doing too bad, BUT, it greatly depends on what you'll have in there. What are you planning on having?

bhcaaron
Oh, and WELCOME! Don't worry, you'll fit right in! ;D

Peterpiper
WELCOME MISFIT

The filter size is the smallest that you could use.
Can you exchange the filter for the next size up ?
Having 2 filter would mean cleaning 2 fliters and thay take up room.
I have a link here on filters, have a look.

https://www.fishlore.com/Filtration.htm

COBettaCouple
we've got one of the Azoo palm filters on a 5 gallon hex and it does a decent job and I think could work for your tank (but we do clean the tank weekly here). You might want more filtration depending on what fish are going in your tank since some fish will want more current.

Isabella
Usually the recommended rate is three times the tank size per hour.
I'd say it's best to have a level of filtration of at least 10 x the volume of your tank per one hour.

bhcaaron
I've heard that too. But, once again it depends on what fish or other aquarium life you'll have.

(not for me... I want a Betta. I need almost still water)

Isabella
Well, I suppose that if your tank will be very lightly stocked, maybe you don't have to have a filtration level of 10 x the volume of your tank. But I personally would get 10 x the volume of my tank, even if my tank were very lightly stocked. It's not just the biological filtration that counts. You also need a good water movement in your tank to distribute heat evenly and to prevent any stagnant water.

I've been told by Gunnie, that when it comes to canister filters, 5 x the vol. of your tank is enough (due to the larger filter media capacity of a canister filter). But I always say, and will continue saying, that: Over-filtration is always better than under-filtration. I wouldn't hesitate to use 10 x the vol. of my tank per hour even with a canister filter.

bhcaaron
In my case its not so much a matter of filtration. I agree that you cannot over filter... well, generally. However, in my case its not so much a matter of filtration, rather, its a matter of water movement. Bettas, from what I've read, live in small ponds and puddles where water movement is almost non-existant. In some cases water really IS stagnant. Since they are not built for strong currents, even light water circulation (in comparison to what other fishes can withstand) could pose a threat to a Betta's health.

Still, I wonder how much circulation they can happily withstand.

Isabella
I think that would be a good question for the Betta board I won't comment on filtration for Bettas as I don't know enough about these fish Wouldn't want to mislead anybody.

bhcaaron
Wy do we pronounce it mislEEd but if you separate it, its lEAd like the metal? hmmm?

Isabella
LOL, no idea, but that would be a good question for an English teacher, I guess

jsalemi
Lead is also pronounced 'leed' as in 'leeder' -- we don't say 'lead-er' as in the metal.

(The best description I ever heard of English is that it's the bully language -- it mugs other languages and picks their pockets for words it likes, and then changes them anyway. )

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
AllieSten
Replies
Views
Nobote
Replies
Views