4x2x2 500 litre 150 us gallon aquarium safety?

Daymocreeper

I currently have a 145 litre aquarium in my liveing room. I'm upgradeing to a 150 gallon. Roughly 500 litre tank/cabinet system. I am nervy howevet if it leaks that's house ruined. Is it more prone to breaking? And my floor is timber based support groundfloor not concrete. I would like to think the timber beams would go width ways not long ways to support the floor
So where the currrent tank is should have beams under supporting it. In that corner.

A201

If you have a crawl space under the house, check out the direction the joists are layed just to be certain.
New XL tanks don't typically have total catastrophic failures if they come from a reputable manufacturer & are placed on an appropriate stand that is correctly leveled.

Betta02

I feel you. Just got my 65 gallon put up. I live in a mobile home, floor supports it just fine, but hubby braced the floor underneath the tank with cinder blovks for more support. I have brand new flooring in my house, and that makes me a bit nervous. But, I love my new tank! If it leaks, I won't be happy, but we'll deal with it. Two weeks in, all is good. Knock wood!

Islandvic

Outside corner of a room in a pier and beam foundation will be the strongest part.

If that is where your current tank is, then it should be fine if there aren't any current foundation issues.

wtc

There is no perfect answer. No....the home was not designed to support that kind of weight but that does not mean that it will fail. The most likely result will be deflection which in itself can be a real mess over a few years. Modern homes with engineered trusses are even more prone to deflection. Deflection is acceptable and built into the equation. Bedrooms are engineered less strong than a game room. I would not mount an XL tank upstairs in a modern built home that was designed on a computer to reduce materials costs. I worked for 10 years in home building and built over 300 homes. I saw a lot of issues with second floor trusses. The engineering is stronger in some places of the room and weaker in other. For instance, the dead center of the room would be the weakest unless a load bearing wall is under it. That does not even bring in panel wall construction that have wall but they are not designed to hold 1,500 pounds static. Add in construction deficiencies, and damage done you cannot see by plumbers, AC, and electricians modifying trusses not shown on the engineering drawings.... and the risk not insignificant. What if 15 people gathered in the room? The tank stand is vital to be stiff and the weight distributed more than for leg points. A modern home uses 3/4" cheap OSB on 24" centers. The subfloor was rained on for weeks before closed in on more homes than you would think....you would never know this as a homeowner but I put my boot through many floors and did lots of warranty on homes years later that had failing subfloor covered by carpet or laminated wood. The subfloor plywood was not designed to handle 1,500 pounds depending on the exact placement. It would deflect over time. An outside wall in the corner would be the strongest area with the least deflection possible. If I had to do this, I would build an oversized tank stand...not buy a prebuilt stand. I would build essentially a counter the that is tied to the wall and floor over a width as least twice the length of your tank. That will distribute the weight so that most wood floors would easily handle it. The tanks ability to not leak and not deflect your floor all comes down to a well engineered stand....dont cheap the stand...its the number one factor in making an XL tank work in a residential home.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AnthonyC4C
Replies
Views
Danny002
Replies
Views
KingOscar
Replies
Views