4ft vs 6ft 90+ Gallon Tanks

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Canadian Fish, Apr 21, 2012.

1. C

Canadian Fish Valued Member Member

I would like to put a large tank in my basement, where I have lots of room and a concrete floor.

I currently have a couple of 55 gallon tanks, so what I'm looking to do is get a tank that will allow me to keep larger fish than is possible in a 55 gallon. (As opposed to a larger quantity of the same fish). I want larger and different fish (right now my largest fish are Rainbows)

I see most 90 gallons are still only 4 feet in length, but wider and higher than the 55 gallon tanks. Does this allow for larger fish, for example, some of the fish that reach up to 12" in length? Or is a 6 foot tank required for most of these fish?

Locally there seems to be a huge jump in price between the 90 4ft tanks and the 100+ Gallon 6ft tanks.

Thanks for the help.

2. u

uphill4me Valued Member Member

I think what is better comes down to what you want to put in the tank.

For larger fish I would prefer a 4 foot that is wide than a 6 foot that is narrow. I wouldn't suggest keeping fish near as big as the smallest dimension; a 12" tank limits size a lot more than a 24" tank. IMO

Decorating the Ecosystem to encourage bottom dwellers to dwell to higher towards the surface or selecting Top, Middle and Bottom dwelling fish can give deep tanks an added benefit. (Crayfish climb four feet and jump off if given the chance)

If I intended to do more of what you have been doing (Rainbows etc.) I'd prefer the 6 foot; a nice schooling tank. Six foot is also useful for dividing.

I like to cut high density styrofoam insulation to fit under the tank in basements; ensure no upward pressure on the bottom pane of glass.

Just my opinion, take it as you may. Best of luck.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Judging by these tank dimensions, the 6 ft 100+ gallon aquariums are all just as wide as the 90 gallon aquarium, just longer.

If the tank is on a stand does it still need the insulation? If we didn't have it on a stand our 3 year old would probably climb in it.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I recommend choosing the aquarium that has the largest foot print so I would select the longest tank that I had room for. The more surface area the aquarium has the greater amount of oxygen in the water as long as you have sufficient surface water movement.

IMO, larger fish need room to swim length wise and not up and down or height wise.

Ken

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Some generic information here and this does not take custom tanks into account.

your 4ft tanks are usually the following: 33 long, 40 long, 45 long, 55, 60, 80 high, 75, 90, 110 high.

your 6ft tanks generally are: 100, 125, 150, 180

Out of all that, the following share the same footprint.

33long, 40 long, 45 long, and 55 (All 48 1/4 by 12 3/4 inches)

the 75 and 90 share a footprint.

the 100, 125, and 150 all share a footprint.

That said, I would take a look at the stock of the tank first, but I would always tend to chase the longer tanks.

6. F

Fish Monger Valued Member Member

Given the choice, I would always choose the tank with the largest surface area. More swimming room and gaseous exchange are the two major benefits.

7. OP
    OP
    C

We found out today our LFS has layaway, and I saw a gorgeous 125 gallon 6 footer with stand and light fixtures that will be in my basement sometime in the next couple of months.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice