4ft tank with 304. adding an extra pump?

BristolBulldog

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have two tanks. a juwel 180 running the standard kit, and a 4ft tank running a fluval 304.

The juwel, gets no internal settlement on the plants, and stays clean. it has good flow around the tank.

the 4ft tank, needs disturbing often, as waste, and general "debris". i am going to install a spray bar, but the flow from the 304 just isnt great. I want to increase the flow from one end of the tank, and "cycle" it back to the other creating a flow. There are plenty of opbjects in the tank to prohibit the flow and for the fish to get out of the flow as well.

Should i install a pump inline with the filter i.e. tank>filter>extra pump>spraybar,
or should i install a seperate pump with a minifilter and then to a spray bar?

what do you think?

thanks.

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
might be easier just to get a powerhead and install it on the opposite side of the tank that your filter is at

BristolBulldog

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have thought about this, but i wanted to keep in-tank objects to a minimum. I have setup the 304 to take in one end, and pump back out the other, but the general flow across the tank is very low. If i put a pump inline, it keeps it out of the tank, and would use the spraybar that i would install to evenly push more water?

not sure how this would or would not affect the filter though?

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
the filter will be fine with any current flow, the purpose of having the current flow is to help the filter with maintaining the cleaniness of the tank, but heres the catch, if the current is too strong, it will stress out you fish

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya depending on your fish some don't like currents and some do. I'm not sure on how your tank is setup but is it possible your filter just isn't strong enough for your tank and you need more filtration? If not then your output which you said is at one end of the tank pointing towards the intake. For HOB filters the intake is below the output so the output pushes the water at the wall and it goes down and the goes towards the intak to keep the water moving easily if you get what i'm saying, maybe tryy that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom