47g Column

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I acquired a 45g column, I'm fairly certain it's actually a 47g column if it matters. 18x20x31 external measurements. The top trim is cracked, two corners diagonal from one another. While looking for a replacement I found I cannot get any supportive trim and only replace for esthetics. I don't much care if it's got top trim or not honestly.

Here's the kicker. Two column tanks I've had previously one acrylic one glass both failed on me. Acrylic at the base and glass about 2/3s up at a corner seam. Both catastrophic. I'm a bit leary.

I'll be resealing the tank because first it's used and second I'm a bit paranoid. I am hoping someone can advise on bracing for the top.

Is it necessary for supportive reasons or is the trim on a tank this tall purely esthetic?
If necessary for supportive purposes, then being a column is the best DIY a European style glass brace rather than a center as its almost square?
If European style is best can anyone either advise or direct me to a site that can on the width required?
Correct me if I'm wrong if center is best I'd be looking right about 3" wide correct?

If you have better solutions whether DIY or buy I'm all ears, any glass bracing is going to be in the way of my scape and I'd rather not make changes to my epic idea that I've already ordered materials for.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is commercial banding available that is made of very strong. It's normally used for very heavy objects that are being shipped. I've had to cut this banding off of cardboard boxes before when having items shipped to me. I'm not sure what it's called nor where to purchase it. It's about 2 1/2 cm wide and usually yellow. If you can find it at a commercial shipping store , I'm still not sure if a special tool or machine would have to attach it. If you manage to find such a thing, it can aesthetically be covered with trim as it is only about 1 inch...2.54 cm wide. But its incredibly strong. With you normal aquarium sealant on the corners, I don't know for sure that you need extra support for the top anyway.
sfsamm said:
I acquired a 45g column, I'm fairly certain it's actually a 47g column if it matters. 18x20x31 external measurements. The top trim is cracked, two corners diagonal from one another. While looking for a replacement I found I cannot get any supportive trim and only replace for esthetics. I don't much care if it's got top trim or not honestly.

Here's the kicker. Two column tanks I've had previously one acrylic one glass both failed on me. Acrylic at the base and glass about 2/3s up at a corner seam. Both catastrophic. I'm a bit leary.

I'll be resealing the tank because first it's used and second I'm a bit paranoid. I am hoping someone can advise on bracing for the top.

Is it necessary for supportive reasons or is the trim on a tank this tall purely esthetic?
If necessary for supportive purposes, then being a column is the best DIY a European style glass brace rather than a center as its almost square?
If European style is best can anyone either advise or direct me to a site that can on the width required?
Correct me if I'm wrong if center is best I'd be looking right about 3" wide correct?

If you have better solutions whether DIY or buy I'm all ears, any glass bracing is going to be in the way of my scape and I'd rather not make changes to my epic idea that I've already ordered materials for.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom